Thunder and Rain

by Anonymous on Ao3

warnings: yelling, disorientation (ig? if you guys have ideas of what warnings to put comment then pls i'm lost)

summary: Bruno has an involuntary vision while he is on his own in town and the townspeople don't react kindly to it.
Luckily Pepa comes to the rescue.

It was a nice day outside. One of the first warmer days of the year in fact.

Bruno sat on the steps in front of the house, eyes closed and head tipped back to enjoy the warmth of the sun. The three of them had wanted to go swimming today, but due to the sudden shift in temperature both Pepa and Julietta had been called away to help. Pepa was busy tending to gardens and fields that needed a little bit more water, and Julietta had only just gotten back from her round and was now in the kitchen preparing food for tomorrow. Bruno had joined her for a little while, but the weather was too good to stay inside all day and he had already been inside most of the time to give visions.

If he squinted now he could vaguely make out the grey colour of Pepa's raincloud above one of the fields at the far end of town. It was lucky that his sister's gift worked on a small scale so they didn't get rained on all the way here.

The thing was, Bruno thought as he watched a butterfly flutter past, the steps of the front door didn't hold many interesting things. He really wanted to go out to the river, but Mamá didn't allow any of them to go there if they weren't together. It would be nice to go into town as well, but Bruno often felt so uncomfortable there. If he had Julieta or Pepa at his side he could ignore the stares of the townspeople, but he felt awkward without them there.

Not to mention the visions that sometimes came up out of nowhere. It was one thing to show them when people came to his cave with a request, but they were never welcome unprompted. The last time it had happened his sisters had been there to guide him to a quiet spot, but he knew he had really scared the people who were close enough to witness it. Then again, that had happened a pretty long time ago, and it had been the first and last time he had had a vision in town.

Bruno pursed his lips and looked at the colourful roofs of the houses in town again. The raincloud had moved to a different field now. It would be a shame to waste a beautiful day away by just sitting in front of the house. Maybe he could risk it. He could even walk to Pepa, maybe if she was done soon they could still go swimming before dinner. Mind made up Bruno jumped up, waved to Julieta through the kitchen window to let her know he was off, and made his way down the road.

His confidence waned slightly when he walked between the houses. There were many people on the streets now, all enjoying the sunny weather, and Bruno did his best to keep his eyes down and on the road. If he didn't see their faces he also didn't have to know what they thought of him.

Still, despite the number of people it was nice to walk around. He visited the little fountain in the plaza and watched the sunlight dance with the water. The colours of the town looked more vibrant in this weather too, it helped calm down his nerves and lift his spirits.

After a while the bright colours started to give him a slight headache though, so he decided to walk to the other side of town and go see Pepa as he had planned. If she wasn't done yet maybe he could just sit with her at the edge of the fields instead. But he wasn't even halfway through the town when the headache grew and his heart sank with sudden realisation.

This wasn't a normal headache.

Oh no no no no no. Bruno could kick himself, just his luck! He really shouldn't be surprised that this was happening now of all times, by now he should know better than to play with chance. But how unfair it was! He quickly looked around if there was a quiet place somewhere but there were people everywhere. Oh no.