Little Bunny

by Sionnaach on Ao3

warnings: crying, internalized homophobia

Summary: Bruno confides in his mother. It goes better than he expected.

(AU NOT HEADCANON)

"Mamá?"

His mother startled in her seat on the sofa, clearly surprised that she was not the only one awake at such an hour. "Mijo, you should be asleep." She scolded him lightly, but offered a gentle smile as she held out a hand in his direction, inviting him to join her. As Bruno instinctively moved towards her, Alma took hold of his arm and coaxed him into the seat beside her. "Is everything okay?" Her brows furrowed in concern as she brushed a few stray curls from his face and pressed the back of her hand to his forehead, as if checking for a fever.

"I'm okay Mamá. I just couldn't sleep."

"Is there something on your mind?" She asked softly, and was met with a nod. "Would you like to talk about it?" She continued when it was clear he wasn't about to give her anything else, gently prodding him in the direction of an answer.

Bruno took a breath, and focused his attention on a loose thread on his ruana, finding it easier to focus on and voice his thoughts when he was not also meeting his mother's eyes. Alma did not correct him, like she sometimes would when he was speaking with the villagers.

"I was thinking about what you mentioned at dinner - about, about uh, suitors, and I'm not sure if I'm. If I..." He trailed off, going over the events of that evening in his head once again.

It had started when Pepa mentioned that she had a date with one of the village boys, Luis García, later in the week. Their mother had lit up at the news; the Garcías were farmers, well-liked in the community and good friends of Alma.

"Actually, I wanted to speak to you all about that." Alma had begun. "A few families have approached me regarding their sons and daughters. I would like to set up a few dates." Bruno had nearly dropped his fork, but quickly recovered and returned his attention to his mother with a vague attempt at nonchalance. "Pepa, let me know how things go with Luis first. If you like the boy, I certainly won't get in the way." She gave her middle daughter a warm smile. "Bruno, Julieta, I have a few families in mind for you both that we can discuss, is that alright?" His sister had nodded, and Bruno followed suit, fighting down the nerves clawing at his chest.

He had spent the rest of the night in a slowly building anxiety attack, wondering how he was going to confront his mother about how he absolutely should not be set up with any of the village girls.

"I know it's a lot to take in." Alma began gently, snapping him back to the present. "Truthfully, I'm not fond of the idea, but the Guzmáns and Lopez' had already approached me. I want you to be prepared, but I won't force you to court someone you don't like."

"Okay. That's... um... But what if there isn't anyone I like?"

His mother hummed. "You say that now, but I'm sure there will be someone in the village for you. You just need to get to know them." She raised her eyebrows at him, and Bruno shrank into his ruana, feeling like he was being chastised.

He knew that she was concerned about how reclusive he was becoming, how he actively avoided going into town if one of his sisters wasn't already there, how he could count the number of friends he had on one hand (and two were related to him, so did they count, really? And whilst he was friendly with Agustín and Félix, they were more his sister's friends, so that's another two off the list...)

He had Javier, who would actively seek him out to spend time with him, who actually enjoyed being his company rather than simply being forced into it.

His chest felt fuzzy. His mother nudged his shoulder, startling him and when he glanced back he found a wry smile on her face. "Your ears have gone red, want to tell me why?"

He blinked, feeling heat rise to his cheeks. "What if I don't- what if I don't like a girl?" He squeaked out before he could think better of it, cursed himself internally, and decided that his hands were now very interesting. They were shaking. The sofa shifted as his mother pulled back, evidently not expecting that as an answer. He was too scared to look at her to see her reaction, so instead chose to focus on breathing like a normal human.

"Brunito, what do you mean?"

She didn't sound angry, at least. Just confused. Small victories.

Bruno took another breath, fighting to keep his nerves together. "I-I mean I don't... I don't think I've ever liked girls like that." His voice wavered and he could feel tears welling in his eyes. He squeezed them shut. "I'm sorry."

He stiffened as he felt his mother's arms wrap around him, one hand cupping the back of his head and pulling him into the crook of her neck. Suddenly he felt very small, and very young, cradled in her arms. The intimacy of the gesture was the final straw for his fragile emotional state and Bruno let himself break, sobbing into his mother's dress.

"Shh, Conejito," she soothed, using an old nickname that she had favoured when the triplets were little. When Bruno, shy, easily frightened, and very very small, could still hide behind her skirts or be cradled against her chest. She hadn't used it in years.

"My little rabbit," she cooed to the boy in her lap, brushing her thumb across tear stained cheeks. "Don't cry, you're safe."

She had started to rock him gently, still murmuring quiet reassurances in his ear, but giving him the time to calm down on his own terms. When his sobs had been reduced to little more than sniffles, she spoke again.

"You know, I had an older cousin, Andrés, who never seemed interested in girls, either. Eventually, I learned that he had taken another man as his partner. Is that what you would like?" Bruno froze. Still too scared to speak, he nodded. Alma gave him a little squeeze.

"Our families... They did not agree, but I never saw an issue. They loved one another, and that was all that mattered." She pulled away then, and cupped Bruno's face in her hands. "All I want is for you and your sisters to be happy, like I was with your Papá." She pressed a kiss to his forehead. Bruno, embracing the vulnerability of the moment, tucked himself back under his mother's chin - thankful, for once, that he was still smaller than her. "I love you, Mamá." He murmured softly.

He heard her chuckle as her arms came to wrap around him again, and he felt her nose nuzzling his hair. "I love you too. Thank you for telling me, mijo."

They sat together in drowsy silence, both enjoying the casual intimacy that was rarely shared now that the triplets were teenagers. Bruno would have been content to just fall asleep there and then, but Alma spoke again.

"So..." She drew out the 'o', and the teasing note in her voice had Bruno suddenly very awake, wide eyed and tense in anticipation. "Is there a boy in town who has caught your attention?"

"Mamá!" He squawked as he tried to squirm out of her grasp, but Alma just held him tighter, laughing. "Let me go!"

"Ay, my babies are growing up. I don't think you even need my help finding someone."

She released him and Bruno stumbled off the sofa, clumsily righting himself and straightening his ruana, indignant. Apparently his flushed cheeks and huffing expression was enough of an answer for his mother. She was still laughing as she reached out, taking one of his hands in her own and squeezed gently.

"Get some sleep, Conejito."

Embarrassed as he was, he couldn't help his gaze from softening as he looked at their hands. He nodded and gave her a small, grateful smile. "Buenas noches, Mamá."