Wait.

"Explain it," he says, his eyes still struggling to meet mine, "One more time."

"Okay..." I mutter. I clear the sound of discomfort from my throat. "So, uh... I-I uh" I struggle to repeat what I just told the boy before me, David's jaw tightens, and his fingertips twitch. "Screw it. David, I messed up, okay?" David adds a silent nod as if he's telling me to continue, so I do "I don't even remember what I said to you, ya know? But I remember the look on your face when I said it. " Davids features slip to softness. "I just... I'm sorry man. In all honestly, I can't even remember the last time when I didn't feel guilty about that day." David stays still, and guilt fills the static air, our breaths fill the silence until he speaks. A restricted breath escapes him, and the cavern of my chest tightens in a growing ache enclosing my thoughts. "Well," he begins, "To be honest. I felt the same. And quite frankly, now I feel stupid. very, very stupid." That was the first time I noticed how beautiful candor looked on David. His gaze finally meets mine; I could tell he's being careful not to stare for too long, but they did.

His gaze,

a dark stare pained with unwavering intent.

god.

I need to stop.

But I can't.

I let his eyes tear through the layers of protection I've built over the years, my skin warms at the careful scrutiny of David's gaze. Finally, realization sinks in, an exhale blows from Davids's nose, and the muscles on the edge of his jaw shifts. "Well. I'll see you later Austin."

over

just like that.

"Yeah, uh seeya I guess,"

My thoughts tumble rapidly, Jesus... I just... said that to him? "Hey Austin, I just finished my shift and lane four needs a bagger, can you head over there." I turn over to see my fellow bagger boy. How long had he been there for? How much did he see? How much does he know? "Yeah, I'll head over right now." "Alright thanks man, hahah I'll see you tomorrow for night shift," He remarked. "No problem, dude, dab me up..."

A/N:

Hey guys! Hahaha sorry for being so late to posting! I got chased down on my golf cart and shot a few times, nothing major! Anyways, love you, always be yourself munchkins :)

-Author one