Chilly Wraith

The wind chased Inej across the roof. Her body aches for the warm embrace of a well-lit room and shelter from the storm. But first, she had to give Kaz his report. Normally she'd find her way back to the Slat after a nights rest in the manor.
These secrets were too time sensitive. They wouldn't be useful by tomorrow. Inej was sure of it, so she pulled her cloak hood tighter and carried on.

When it started sleeting Inej let a few curses slip, but she also saw the blessedly crooked Slat, and it's window, closed but faithfully unlocked. Inej pushed it up and climbed through, closing the window only to recognize a rug had been set there, so she didn't make a puddle. She rolled her eyes at Kaz's extra precautions.

"Hello Wraith," The Bastard of the Barrel himself was perched at his desk, working away at numbers. He hadn't looked up just yet, so Inej took her time in shucking off the soaked cloak and working her feet free from the slick rubber-soled shoes.
"Kaz, you shouldn't leave your window unlocked."
"If a spider manages to climb up three stories of the Slat and get into my room without my immediate notice I'd say they deserve a fair opportunity."
"I don't appreciate that kind of humor." Inej told him sharply. Pulling herself up on the corner of his desk, watching the way the candlelight played across his pale skin.

"Apologies, Treasure. Did you find what we were looking for?" He looked up at her, intelligent eyes twinkling in amusement, like light playing off the burnt black of the steaming cup of coffee resting at his elbow.
"That and more." Inej told him, sharing in a wicked smile. Inej relaxed, and tried to ignore the frozen feeling of ice in her hair and numb limbs as she repeated all she had learned. The chill was deep inside herself, and she could feel it trembling.

"Are you feeling ok, Inej?" Kaz asked, and Inej sat upright to look back at him. His eyes held only the gentlest of concerns. "It's nothing, just cold." Inej answered, waving it away.
"Why didn't you just say so?" Kaz tsked, standing and reaching for his cane.
"It's nothing you need to fix Kaz." Inej teases him, and he shot a smirk back.
"Nonsense, Darling. Wylan will be happy to hear his invention was put to use." He said, heading toward the experimental furnace, and setting a few more wood pieces inside it. He called a Dreg to deliver the secret to their person of interest.

Kaz headed back toward the desk. "Your welcome to anything here to help you warm up," Kaz reminded her softly.
"Anything?" Inej asks playfully. Kaz shrugs, distracted by the numbers in front of him and the schemes inside of him, his eyebrows pulling over his eyes in a concentrated frown. "I told you, this place is as much yours as mine."

They had been living together whenever Inej was on shore leave, which was usually the winter. It sometimes didn't feel like much had changed at all since she spent so much time away from this room. She stepped forward and settled herself against Kaz, sitting on his arm chair and then carefully tucking herself against him. Kaz jolted, shocked. But he wrapped his arms around her to let her know he was ok.

"Ghezen, Nej. You're freezing." Inej smiled, carefully, slowly hiding her face in his neck with a hum, she felt Kaz twitch at the touch of her cold skin, but he did not recoil. It was a good night, at least.
"You're so warm though... and you did say anything." Kaz sighed reaching a gloved hand up to play with her hair.
"So I did. But you could at least grab a blanket, something that might actually help." Inej sighed, pushing herself off of him.

"I suppose you're right. Will you be at this all night?"
"Something like that." Kaz agreed, turning a page. Inej frowns. Some nights, she could lure him away from his work early, and they could fall asleep in the same bed. Sometimes she insisted on it when he was barely awake, almost falling into his papers.

Tonight was not one of those nights. Work had to be done. Inej trailed back to his side, after wrapping herself in the heavy quilt from the bed. Kaz looked over at her and leaned back, opening his arms for her. Inej smiled. Despite the workload, Kaz still did his best to make sure she was seen to, and felt adored on her shore leaves.