The song of the crow

The sky was laden with darkness, harsh darkness. Ketterdam knew no soft edges. Even the spotty clouds looked like black spots, choking out any stars that might try to give a glimmer of hope. The moon a sour, yellow color like a blister had been super imposed in the sky. It provided no light and often kept its stained appearance hidden under a mask of smoky clouds.

It was nights like these that Inej found the hardest to find peace. It seemed every shadowy figure grew restless, even the ones in her mind. But that was not the reason that she darkened the window of Kaz's room that night, blocking out the non-existing light. Kaz's back was towards her as he worked, hunched over his desk with his attention solely on the numbers laid before him as the warm candlelight flickered in his room, a soft glow. Inej let herself in, Kaz shifted, paused writing before he continued again, it was a simple sign he knew she was there, and Inej knew that it was merely an acknowledgement of her arrival. He expected her.

"I figured I'd find you here," Inej breaks the silence first, coming to stand behind him.
"You say that like you're disappointed." Kaz responds, his rasp warm with amusement. Inej sighs, clearing a corner of his desk to sit on.
"That's because I am,"
"This is my job Inej, there are consequences when I don't do it." Inej glared at him.
"There are consequences when you don't take care of yourself too." He winced, looking back at his paperwork. Inej reaches over slowly and lightly placed her hand over his gloved one. His pen stops moving.

"You we're leaning on your cane more today." Kaz's jaw ticks. "And I heard the Dregs talking about a nasty fight..." Inej lightly moved her hand up his arm, Kaz jumped as her light touch applied pressure against the sensitive cut skin of his arm through his clothes. Inej moves back apologetically.
"Kaz... come take a break and sleep."
"Not now..." he says softly, and he sounds so regretful that Inej almost gives into it. Almost.
She stands up, and runs her fingers through his hair. A motion they both know is safe, Kaz melts under the soft contact.
"I'm not asking." Inej whispers, Kaz glanced up at her with a weary gaze. Inej lightly tugs his hand. "Come on. If not for yourself, for me?"

Kaz sighed, pushing himself back. "I have to be back at work in an hour."
"Two hours" Inej negotiates, Kaz shook his head before accepting her terms. He stood up and Inej smiled and made it all worth it. She lightly wrapped her hand over his and walked him to the small bedroom attached to his attic office. Kaz stopped and stripped his gloves off, setting them aside on the dresser. Inej slowly walked over and touched the side of Kaz's bed, looking around as Kaz took off his tie and shoes. His room was sparse, but yet it spoke of him. It was clean and cleared away, the creaky old bed had been moved to the middle of the back wall, so they both could get in without contact. It also just so happened to be where the sun would creep in on warm Sunday mornings. Inej looked up as she heard the clack of his cane when he set it against the wall.

He already looked more relaxed. Inej nodded and watched as Kaz limped to his side of the bed, he settled onto the mattress, stiffly. Inej rolled her eyes and followed him, the bed was small, but they could both lay next to each other without contact. Which is exactly what they did.
"I thought you were staying at Wylan's" Kaz rasped, and Inej leaned towards him. His voice was a comfort, especially when he spoke like this. A rough whisper, caressing her mind in that familiar warmth that gave her strength.
"I am." She murmured back, turning on her side so she could see him better, Kaz remained laying on his back but he turned his head to watch her.
"I'm seeing something very different." He said, with a wry smile that made Inej's heart jump.
"Should I head back? Do you want me to?" Kaz looked over Inej's face, then shook his head slowly without breaking eye contact. Inej smiles, reaching her hand towards him, Kaz nods his consent and lightly brushed his bare hand across hers, his soft fingers tracing the muscles in her hand as he entwined their hands, fingers slotting against her own.