An important job

Kaz could feel his nerves eating away at his resolve. He knew it was the right thing, he talked it through with Inej lengthily the night before.  She had straightened every wayward thought and doubt with loving care, until he had been assured it was the right move.

But now, standing before the precipice, knowing he could only fly, he was still fearful to jump. He stretched his gloved fingers over his cane. The gloves were more so a statement on how he was feeling than a real necessity here now of days. Today was a day he needed its protection and his reputation.

"Jesper," Kaz called the sharpshooter, and he stopped in the hall to look at Kaz. Curiosity and worry flickering in his gunmetal grey eyes.
"Yeah?"
"I... need you on a job." There, he said it, he could feel Inej's eyes roll from her perch but he had to do this his way or he never would at all. He'd already let so many golden opportunities pass by.

"Look, I'd love to help you out, but I can't do those kind of stunts anymore. Wylan's reputation is linked with mine."
"No one will know."
"Only if things go right."
"I doubt anything would go wrong of such a magnitude. It's just a small job."
"You'll just have to get a different sharpshooter. Literally anything else but a job. But I can't work for you anymore, Kaz."
Kaz pauses for a minute. He backed himself into a corner with this one then.

"I don't need a sharpshooter. Or a distraction for this job. Just a friend," his hand tightened on his cane. He forced the next words out as they stuck in his throat. "..Or a brother." Jesper looked taken aback. Kaz forced his shoulders to ease up and his expression to soften.

"What do you mean by that?" Jesper braved to ask.
"My brother, Jordie. He was supposed to be here, for this event. That was his job, promised by it. Only... he isn't here anymore, but I'd still like my brother to be there. So I'm asking you."
"To be a stand in for Jordie?"
"To be yourself, Jes. I need a best man, but if you tell me no one more time I'll go ask Wylan instead."

Jespers jaw dropped open. "What!! You and Inej are getting married?!? When? What's been planned? Who's been planning?! Who knows!??" Jespers arms were flailing and he started to rush forward, stopping dead in front of Kaz with a guilty expression as he realized hugs might not be tolerated currently.

Kaz smirked, setting his cane aside momentarily and opening his arms, "just this once." Kaz rasped.
It was what he said the first time he allowed Jesper to hug him, and every time since. Jesper hurtled himself into an embrace with Kaz. It was brief but warm, and Kaz found himself relaxing as he heard Jespers' laughter, bright as the sun. He clapped Kaz on the back.

"Inej and I haven't really decided anything at all yet, You're the only one who knows." Kaz said as he pulled out of the hug.
"After all, you are our oldest shared friend. And, we'd appreciate if you kept it a secret. We want to tell everyone individually." Inej added in, dropping down from her place above them.
"Aah!" Jesper jumped away from Inej, pressing a hand to his heart before pulling her into a hug too.
"Congratulations, Inej. You both are very lucky, although you don't need me to tell you that."
"Thank you, Jes." Inej smiled, hugging him back tightly before stepping over to Kaz's side, entwining their fingers.

"You'll let me help plan, right?" Jesper beamed, Kaz scowled and Jesper quickly clarified. "Some of it at least?"
"You can help us, all of you can." Inej responded politely. Kaz nods, squeezing gently on Inej's hand.

They bid Jesper to silence and left to find Nina.

Inej wanted to tell her, and Kaz was more than willing to let her do the honors.

When Inej knocked on Nina's door she opened it slowly, her hair a mess of snarls.
"Good morning, gorgeous." Inej teased, Nina grumbled and led her in.
"Do you have a vendetta against sleeping in?" The larger girl groaned, crawling back into bed like a wounded soldier finding the solace of a safe trench.
"I think there's a time and place for it," Inej concedes, trying to hide an amused smile at her drama.