The Sniffles

Inej's head was pounding, and she would have liked nothing more than to roll over and go back to sleep. But she heard muffled voices outside the door, in an animated, hushed discussion. Even after all these years, her time in the Slat and Menagerie had her senses sharp. In her weary state, she recognized her knives were missing.

She carefully cracked open her eyes, taking note of the various aches and pains that coursed through her sore body. She looked around the room, relaxing when she saw her knives were at arms length at the bedside table. The door creaked open, and Inej's hand automatically reached for Sankt Petyr. Kaz emerged from the doorway and closed it gently behind him.
"Kaz," Inej huffed, placing her knife back on the table. She was happy to see him, but she also knew Kaz wouldn't come unless on business. She knew she was supposed to be spidering across the roofs in a few hours, she had even promised. But her head felt like it was splitting open, and if that didn't break her concentration, the coughing might give her away.

"Hello Inej," Inej blinked, not Wraith, not what business. Inej.
"What do you want, Kaz?" She glanced at him only to see that he had brought a tray of food.
"How kind of you," Kaz rasped, but there was amusement in his tone. "I came to inform you that Roder covered your shift." Inej couldn't help feeling a little bit offended that it had been all he came for. And that he somehow thought Roder equaled her skill level even sick. She wasn't thinking clearly, and pride left a bitter taste in her mouth.

"I can run it," she heard herself saying. Kaz only shook his head and set the tray on her bed. She examined the chicken soup that lay on the tray, along with tea just how she liked it, and a few crackers.
"No," Kaz chided, shaking his head. He limped to a chair in the corner of the room and took his seat, he hadn't set his cane aside, it was likely he'd leave soon. Inej felt a sharp sense of exasperation and longing. Kaz continued on "There's no need for that, just rest. Besides, Jesper may just try to kill me if I had you running on the roofs now."
"You can't make me do anything, Kaz," Inej grumbled, her heart lightened and the smile that graced his features if only for a moment.

"No, but I'd still be blamed for it either way. So, for both our sakes, just rest."
"Thank you, for the soup." Kaz nodded, watching her with a thoughtful gaze.
"While you were out, I went over the documents you brought back. He's investing a good deal into a single company that sells Jurda. He could be using it as a front." Inej nodded, mulling over the information while sipping at her tea.
"Is that all you came here for?" Inej asked, forcing the hope from her voice. Kaz narrowed his eyes, folding his gloved hands over his chest and leaning back.
"Is there something else you're looking for, Wraith?" He asked, a smirk pulling at his lips. Damn him.

"I guess not." Inej huffed, looking down at her soup. The silence crept into the room, still and heavy. Kaz stood, his uneven footsteps bringing him closer to her rather than the door.
"You need rest, Inej."
"Then why'd you come in the first place." Inej stared him down, his stoic expression softened ever so slightly. "Anyone could have told me Roder was taking my place." Just say it, she begged silently. Put down that armor, say something.

"You know why," Kaz says, voice gentler, a rough stony whisper. Inej scowled, that wouldn't do.
"Do I? How can I when you won't tell me?" Kaz's eyebrows furrowed over his dark coffee eyes. He reached for her, the dark leather gently caressing her cheek, pushing her hair back.
"I was worried, Inej. You've been asleep for most of the day."
"Was that so hard?" Kaz scoffed, withdrawing his hand. Inej grabbed it, making sure her skin didn't touch his. He stilled, he made no movement showing discomfort. Gently she brought his gloved hand closer to her.
"I... stay?" She searched his eyes, the dark abysses that reminded her so much of the sea. Kaz nodded slowly.

"Just, do me a favor, don't talk about work," Inej said, smiling as she released her grip on his hand. Kaz set his cane on the wall, Inej moved over to make room for him on the bed.
"Hungry?"
"No." Kaz shook his head. "You need to eat that." Inej sighed, but warmth sept under her skin as Kaz sat on the edge of the bed, next to her. Inej relented and ate what she felt she could stomach. The soup was good, and it helped fight against the chill that was creeping into her bones. Kaz took the tray when she was done and set it aside for the servants to fetch later.