Chapter 11

~ Edited ~

Maggie was waiting for us when we got to the prison, her sniper trained on any sign of life. She waved when she spotted the large group.

The others had caught up with us about halfway and it almost seemed like it was going to be okay. A lot of Woodbury's citizens died from Walkers in the town but we were able to save some of them from the Governor.

Maggie's face lit up at the sight of Glenn and she quickly pulled open the gate and flew into his arms. I smiled at the simple sign of affection. The longer I stayed here the more in touch with myself I became, I felt like there was promise left for the world. Not everyone is bad.

Beth brought Judith to greet us and Hershel was not far behind. Michonne and Andrea had some catching up to do, everyone was finally together. Daryl sorted out the new citizens with Rick and I stood by, watching the bussle of people I had come so unfarmiliar to.

"I think we'll be safe now," I smiled sincerely as Carl stepped up beside me. He smiled and nodded, placing his gun in its holster.

We followed the crowd of people being ushered into the prison. Some were hysterical, afraid of what they had been through and seen. Everyone settled in the canteen while Hershel served some of the food around, which everyone, even those in shock, gladly accepted.

Carl sat down beside me with a happy sigh and we ate our serving of peas and beans.

"What happened in there?" He asked, taking a spoonful of warm beans.

"When they found me, I was knocked out and brought to Woodbury. I woke up and the Governor demanded I tell him where our group is,"

By now everyone was listening intently to me.

"I wouldn't tell him so he slapped me. I still didn't talk so he cut my arm,"

I held up my bandaged arm with a nervous smile.

"I then lied, telling him you were all going to D.C and we had a rule to leave people behind if they are taken. Thankfully, he believed me," I continued. "A few hours later a man came in which turned out to be my cousin Merle,"

Daryl's eye's lit up and I nodded towards him.

"He let me out and told me to go to Andrea, that I could trust her. She told me of a plan to kill the Governor and I had to be the one to kill him. When it got to killing him, he found me out. You guys blew up the gate and it gave me enough time to stab him in the eye. Then I left with Andrea and found you all."

Carl glanced at my arm worringly and frowned. I send him a reassuring smile and placed my arm back by my side.

"Is Merle alive?" Daryl asked, a deep frown etched into his forehead. I thought back on what had transpired and shrugged my shoulders.

"I presume so," I sighed. "He probably got out."

"You didn't have to go through so much pain to save us," Rick flashed a small smile before the seriousness returned. "But thank you."

Everyone finished their meals, families and friends chatting between eachother, some grieving over losses of their loved ones. Aquaintences comforting eachother, past neighbours reminicing about the good days.

I hopped up from the bench and started clearing out a few more cells for people to stay in. The newcomers were more than polite when I gave them somewhere to stay.

"Is that everyone set?" I asked Michonne who nodded and smirked when she looked round the room.

"What's funny?" I asked, giving her a questioning look.

"Oh nothing," She smiled knowingly. "Just Carl's been watching you the whole time."

I couldn't help the blush that creeped up my face. I darted my eyes away from Michonne and cleared my throat.

"We're just friends, Michonne."

"Sure," She laughed, waving me off before she left to sit next to Andrea.

I smiled then shook my head, heading to my cell. I slumped down on Carl's bed and pulled my rucksack to my knees. I smiled at the sight of the small metal decorated lighter Daryl gave me for my birthday the last time I saw him.

"That's a cool lighter," Carl said, stepping into the cell. He placed his hat down on the floor and sat in next to me.

"Thanks," I laughed, "Daryl gave it to me one birthday. I can't remember what age I was."

"Why'd you keep it?" He asked and I passed him the lighter. He flicked it open and the bright flame appeared.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "It was all I really had from family, I guess. It just meant something to me. I didn't have a lot of objects that did."

"Like my hat," Carl said, handing me back the lighter.

"Yeah," I smiled, "Like your hat."

"Do you miss how it was before?" Carl asked me after a few seconds of complete silence. I ran my thumb over the design etched into the metal of the lighter as I thought of an answer.

"I would say yeah," I said thoughtfully. "But I'd be lying. Apart from the death eating zombies, this is how I would like to live."

"Me too," Carl agreed, lying back on his bed. He patted the space beside him and I laughed but laid back anyway. I thought about all the things that had happened in the last few days.

"Only when you find out you are going to die," I smiled. "Will you start to live."

"If the world wasn't like this," Carl started, a small smile graced his face. "I never would have met you."

I turned to face him laying my head on my hands. I loved how I was able to smile so freely around him. He took all the pain I experienced before and distracted me from it. He let me live.

"It's nice having someone with me through this," I smiled again, pushing away all the dark thoughts of the past away. "I've always been alone."

"Well get used to it," Carl laughed, the sound vibrating his chest. "Because I ain't going anywhere."

I yawned and stretched my arms out, sitting back up on the bed. I smiled down at him.

"Just don't die on me, Grimes."

"I wouldn't dream of it."

I stood up and threw my rucksack to the corner of the cell, wincing as a sharp pain shot through my arm. I ignored it, climbing the metal ladder to the top bunk. I sighed happily and closed my tired eyes.

"Night, Lauren."

"Night, Carl."

Filler, but shit gonna go dowwwwwwwwwwn , yay :) Larl is cute

Vote and Comment! :)

Celebratory chapter!!! I did my music practical and I did pretty well (which means I didn't burp while singing or break a finger before playing piano.)