A New Beginning

Taylor walked down the road, glancing around to make sure she didn't miss the sign of the right cafe. She, an American-born woman, was now forced to build her life anew in a London she didn't know at all. It was good that Imperial College London had agreed to accept her, and with a scholarship. Taylor stopped at a crossroads and sighed. She didn't know her way around the city at all. When she saw the green light, she hurried across the street and finally saw the coveted café sign. She walked into the café, the door of which creaked welcomingly at the entrance.
- Well, there you are!- came a voice with a British accent
Taylor now saw the girl who had called her. It was a smiling Cara.
- Cara! I'm so glad to see you- Taylor walked over to the girl who was waving at her and they hugged each other tightly.
Taylor and Cara first met three years ago when Cara came to America as an exchange student. They became good friends and kept in touch even when Cara returned to England, and were sure to go abroad a few times to spend time together.
They sat down at a table and Cara asked in a businesslike manner:
- What would you like to order?
- Um... let's just have a latte. Do you know if it's good here?- asked Taylor, running her eyes over the menu.
- You're still asking. You're in London now, in my domain haha. It's all good, don't regret it.
- okay.
Cara loudly called the waiter over to them for Taylor to order and people started looking at them making Taylor a little uncomfortable. She was generally much calmer and less confident than Cara. And so, as they joked, they complemented each other perfectly.
Taylor ordered and Cara looked at the waiter and said as he walked away:
- this guy's got a nice ass.
If Taylor had been drinking something at the time, she would have choked. But she grinned, Cara always said out loud what she thought without worrying about what other people would say. And sometimes Taylor herself lacked that quality of hers.
- So ask him out on a date- Taylor shrugged.
- No, I can't. I have two dates tomorrow.
- You're already getting into a rhythm, and I remember last year you managed to go on three dates in one day - Taylor reminisced.
- Yes, and it was fun, but it was still pretty damn hard- Cara laughed, baring her snow-white teeth.
Taylor was brought her coffee and she sipped it.
- So how was London?- Cara asked, looking at Taylor and her phone at the same time.
- It's strange. I get lost here.
- It's okay, you'll fix that in no time- Cara put the phone aside.
- I hope so. So what about the apartment? Did you check with your parents?- Taylor asked, her whole soul clenched in anticipation of an answer because so much depended on it.
Cara came from a noble family, and lived in a big house. She was also Taylor's only friend in England, because all her friends remained in America. And the question of housing was particularly acute for Taylor now because she did not have enough money to rent an apartment. But the problem was that Cara's parents were soft-spoken snobs.
Cara sighed, and looked at Taylor with regret
- I'm sorry Taylor, but it didn't work out. They wouldn't listen to anyone living in our house and a common American. You know their obsession with lineage and all that.
Taylor bit her lip, but the next second she let out a smile, trying not to show her disappointment.
- Come on, Cara. It's okay, I get it.
- But you don't have anyone here! Their idiotic behavior is why I set you up- Cara clutched the cup in her hands in frustration.
- Cara, it's all right, really. Life doesn't end there. So I'll try to get me into a dorm or something.
- No- Cara seemed to have forgotten she was throwing lightning bolts a second ago and smiled enigmatically.
- So what are you up to?- Taylor knew that smile, it was usually the beginning of all their craziest adventures.
- You don't have enough money to get an apartment. What about half the apartment?
Taylor got the ideа.
- Roommate? You found me a roommate?
- I did - Cara smiled broadly - when two of my friends had the same problem I quickly figured out what to do and what to do.
- Wow! So that's cool! Not only would I get to live in an apartment, I'd also get to meet some kick-ass girl!- Taylor was excited, everything was going just perfect.
- Well-Cara got confused-Not really a girl.
- What do you mean?-Taylor was getting worried.
- It's a guy. And his name is Joe.
Something inside of Taylor snapped. And it flew down.
- What do you mean, Cara with a guy? No, I can't live with a guy.
Taylor got so nervous, she almost knocked over her cup of coffee, which was already cold.
- Taylor, what's the problem? Aren't you ever friends with guys? You'll have separate rooms, you'll only see each other in the kitchen.
- Cara, he's gonna be my roommate. And it's gonna be a guy.
- Taylor, have you seen a guy? He's a nice guy. He's not gonna hit on you- Cara didn't know what she was getting nervous about.
- Cara, what if I come back at the wrong time? What if he comes out of the shower naked?- Taylor's having a real panic attack.
Cara laughed at her reaction and patted her on the shoulder.
- Taylor, why are you acting like an innocent virgin in the fourteenth century?
Taylor hid her face in her palms.
- I don't know, Cara. I really need this place but living in the same apartment with a guy I don't know.
- Taylor, he's got tons of girlfriends. He's not gonna come on to you and make a pass at you. He doesn't care who takes over the kitchen because he's ordering food from a delivery company. He'll pay for his part of the apartment and sleep there, but not always.
Cara's words sounded soothing, and Taylor began to breathe easier.
- Are you sure about this guy?
- Yes, Taylor, I am. I wouldn't put you in the wrong hands, you know that- Cara looked into her eyes and Taylor smiled.
- Okay. After all, I'm twenty years old and why would I be afraid of some neighbor?
- That's the right attitude.
Cara was glad that Taylor had calmed down. Cara called the waiter over and they paid for their coffee. The girls got up and walked out into the streets London. Taylor asked Cara:
- so where do we go now?
- Well, if you want to meet your roommate, follow me- Cara smiled mischievously.
Taylor groaned and said:
- Oh no, I have to meet him tonight, too. I'll kill you Cara.
- You won't kill me, you'll thank me for finding you a place to live- answered Cara and the girls headed to Cara's car which was parked by the sidewalk.

Here's a new story. In fact, I usually release stories when the previous one is finished, and by that time it just so happens that the new story is 70-80 percent written. This time it's not like that, I haven't made the finale for All too well,and in general I had no experience of running two stories at once, so we'll see how it goes here. The main story will remain all too well so there will be fewer chapters. If I see this story failing then I'll finish all too well and only then will I start updating this one.
Like I said, this is a new experience for me, so we'll figure it out as we go along.