Chapter 6: More Than A Band

We were now at the lunchroom, sitting at a table as Stella read the school newspaper.

"This year's Halloween Bash will best be remembered for the powerful performance by surprise standout 'Lemonade Mouth'. A champion for students sidelined by the high school privileged and elite. Can you believe it?" Stella asked as No takes the newspaper and reads it herself.

"Our first review,"
"And last, apparently," Wen said as a bunch of girls walked by our table and fangirled at Charlie, making me roll my eyes.

"I think they like us," Charlie said with a smile.

"I'm not sure it's us they like, Charlie," I said as Charlie looks at us, confused.

"What do you mean?" Charlie asks as everyone starts laughing.

TIME SKIP

"What would you say..."
"If, um, we told you we could play again?" Wen and Stella asked.

"Heh. I'd say you're nuts. Brenigan is never gonna change his mind," Mo said as I looked at both of them confused.

"We're not talking about at school. We're talking about here," Stella asked us with a smile.

"Look, guys, I—I gave Dante our CD, and he loved it. Yeah, and he said we could start playing here. Principal Brenigan can tell us we can't play at school, but he can't tell us not to play here," Wen said, taking a sip of his drink.

"And it could become a regular gig," Stella said with a smile.

"Wait, wait, a regular gig? I barely made it through the first one," Olivia said as I silently nodded my head.

"Guys, my parents already think I'm at soccer practice every afternoon. There's no way I can pull this off," Charlie said.

"Me either. Scott eats here, and I'm pretty much planning on not seeing him for the rest of my life," Mo said as I start to sip my drink.

"Guys, we mean something to people. Lemonade Mouth is their voice. It's like we're at the center of a movement here. I mean, it—" Stella says as Ko interrupts.

"Guys, good luck with your movement but I've got homework to do," Mo said as she starts to leave with us following her.

"Mo, you okay?" Stella asks as Mo points back to the restaurant.

We both turn around to see a big sign that says 'Don't stop the revolution'.

"What? No way," Wen whispered, speechless.

"Oh, it's beautiful,"
"Look at us up there,"
"Maybe we do matter,"
"Of course we do,"

'Before we knew it, we were playing at Dante's Pizzeria every Thursday Night. Standing room only. We were ready for Rising Star. We were ready to be heard,'

| ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ |

'Lemonade Mouth was officially a sensation. And six strangers were suddenly, much, much more. We were friends,'

TIME SKIP

Today, Olivia and I decided to stay home because we found out that our pet cat, Nancy died.

Olivia and I were both devastated. I decided to just stay in my room and Olivia decided to go outside in the backyard.

After some thinking, I decided to meet up with the others. I took a deep breath and made my way outside.

"Hey guys. Grams told me what you were out here," I said with a small smile.

Charlie gets up from the ground and walks towards me, giving me a hug.

He gives me a small smile and takes my hand, dragging me to where the others were.

"Hey, it's nice out here," Charlie said with a smile, making me look up at the sky.

"Yeah. Sometimes Y/n and I liked to look up and see what shapes we can find. You know, in the clouds," I hear Olivia say, as I glanced up at the sky, laying down next to Charlie and Stella.

"It's a giant old lady with a... a skirt and an umbrella," Charlie said with a chuckle as we all start to lay down.

"See, there... There's a flower in a vase," I said as I point to where I saw the flower in a vase.

"Oh, I see a hand," Mo said, pointing to the sky with a smile.

"No, you're way off. It's a... It's a alien pushing a baby carriage," Wen said with a chuckle, making us laugh.

"All I see is a blob. Sometimes I think I'm too stupid to be in my family. Like I'm just some big letdown. No wonder my mom ignores me. I wish my dad would ignore me," Stella said as I thought about Olivia and I's dad in prison.

"I'm never gonna live up to this idea he has of this perfect Indian daughter, you know?" Mo asked, as I hear Charlie scoff.

"Heh. Try living up to a perfect brother," he said, making Wen scoff as well.

"I'd take perfect any day over my dad's ridiculous girlfriend," Wen said as I took a deep breath.

I sit up and look down at the ground, trying to take the thought of our dad out of my mind.

"Our dad's in prison," Olivia said as I close my eyes and try not to cry.

"Ugh. I just—I'm too humiliated to talk to him or about him and... Y/n, she just... She doesn't know if she should consider him a father. You know, he writes but Y/n and I don't write back, because we don't know what to say. I mean, he's made some really bad decisions since our mom died, and we still love him, but he's—He's a stranger now, you know?" I hear Olivia say as I feel an arm over my shoulder. I look up to see Charlie softly smiling at me.

"Which is why Y/n and I were so glad to have this, you know. Our friendship," she said as I glanced at Olivia with a smile.

Stella grabs her guitar and plays a few chords.

[Mo] I can't pretend to know you feel
But know that I'm here
Know that I'm real
[Wen] Say what you want or don't talk at all
[Mo] Not gonna let you fall
Reach for my hand 'cause it's held out for you
My shoulders are small but you can cry on them too
Everything changes but one this is true, understand

The scene changes to where we were all at out Olivia and I's house, playing our instruments.

[Mo] We'll always be more than a band
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
[Stella] You used to brave the world all on your own
Now we won't let you go, go it alone
[Charlie] Be who you wanna be
Always stand tall
[Stella/Charlie] Not gonna let you fall

The scene now changes to where we were dancing in partners. Olivia and Wen were partners as Charlie and I were partners.

Reach for my hand 'Cause it's held out for you
My shoulders are strong
But you can cry on them too
Everything changes but one thing is true, understand
We'll always be more than a band

[Olivia] I never knew you could take me so far
I've always wanted the hope
That you are the ones I need
[Mo] Yeah~

The scene again changes to where we were all playing by the pool. Charlie ends up pushing me into the pool but Mo got my back and pushed him in.

Reach for my hand 'Cause it's held out for you
(held out for you)
My shoulders are strong
But you can cry on them too
(cry on them too!)
Everything changes but one thing is true, understand
(Understa-and~)
We'll always be more than a band

[Y/n] Reach for my hand 'Cause it's held out for you
My shoulders are strong
But you can cry on them too
Everything changes but one thing is true, understand
We'll always be more than... a band~