Chapter 41 - The Edge

A/N early update!!! the second to last chapter of Antidote...

settle inthis chapter is nearly 10,000 words. i hope you guys enjoy!

happy reading <3

~~~

The newfound contentment Jolie felt lasted well into the following weeks of May.

Even with her and George beginning to study for a few hours on Saturdays, she had been able to spend significantly more time with Daphne and Pansy. And, after lunch on most days, she'd begun her previous routine of meeting with Neville in the courtyards to catch up.

In fact, speaking with Neville was what made Jolie realise just how well everyone seemed to be doing.

Neville had been invited to study directly under Professor Sprout's supervision in his free time.

Daphne and Blaise weren't bickering as often.

Pansy and Draco were back together—officially, now.

And, despite only a bit of outspoken disapproval from Jolie, Theo was considering beginning a relationship with the, admittedly, very sweet Beatrice Haywood.

Jolie and George were glued to their research... As well as each other, sometimes.

At this point, she was honestly just waiting for him to officially ask her out. That was what he'd said he'd wanted. And he'd made it clear that a courtship wasn't in the cards for them.

Despite her waiting, everything felt easy. It wasn't all perfect, no. But, as of now, all was well.

Jolie had, however, discovered how bloody annoying Fred could be.

In the third week of May, after lessons on Wednesday, Jolie was laid out across the chaise in the office, leaning her head against the only arm. George sat at the desk, several books laid out before him. Lee sat at the other end of the chaise, fiddling with the silver buckle on Jolie's Mary Jane shoes. Fred paced about the room, muttering to himself as he read.

"Could you think quieter?" Jolie groaned as she saw Fred pass by again in her periphery. "Or just not aloud? Like a normal person?"

"You expect me to be normal?" he practically shouted. "Carrow, we're on the verge of cracking the code."

Ever since George had told her about his and his brother's plans to open a business, he'd brought Fred to the office every few days—sometimes Lee would tag along. It was during these times that Jolie very quickly found out that Fred liked to argue almost as much as she did.

She rolled her eyes and looked over at Lee. "What code?"

Lee shrugged. "When they get like this, I usually just ignore them."

Jolie sighed, glancing over at George, finding his nose still in a Charms book from Merrythought's shelves.

Before Fred and Lee had come in, he'd sworn that he was near a 'serious fucking breakthrough' and she hadn't heard much out of him since.

Whenever Fred or Lee accompanied them, she'd always given them two hours. After that allotted time, she made the boys leave and George would go back to researching for their project.

As much as it unnerved her how close the deadline was, she also wanted to support the twins' budding business. She sometimes enjoyed hearing about their theories and ideas, as well. They could be impressively smart when they really wanted to be.

"Can't we just break down the spell and tack on the component of an Engorgio—?" Fred began to ask his brother.

"No, I already said that," George huffed. "If we just make our own toffee and add lacewing flies and—"