Part 4

He kept telling her she would get better. But to his desperation she was not. After several more days she couldn't just brush his worries away with a smile anymore. Until one morning she did not even have the strength to move. Panicking completely he sent Dharamdas for a doctor, only to receive a reply he was away from the city, and no other doctor was willing to ruin his name by stepping into a brothel in broad daylight. By evening she was barely conscious and a high fever set in. He never felt so helpless. Not even him sitting beside her was of any comfort to her, as she lost the sense of reality. She was trapped in the depths of her mind while the unknown disease ravaged her body.

"There has to be something to do," he spoke out loud, venting his frustration. He did not expect anyone to answer. He turned around sharply as he heard a voice behind him. "Leave." Gauri was standing there. The sweet girl who would always keep Chandramukhi company. Not a tawaif herself - yet - she genuinely admired Chandramukhi's art and was eager to learn everything from her. Like a faithful puppy she would follow her every step. She did not take lightly that Chandramukhi would spent her days and nights with Devdas, leaving her suddenly out of her world, which now only revolved around him. Now she was standing behind him, her eyes speaking of emnity but being incredibly sad at the same time. "What did you say?" he asked.

"If you want her get better, you have to leave. The sooner the better. Even though it might be already too late." He did not understand. How could him leaving her side possibly help? Unless... He looked at her more alerted. Unless... this was not a disease. "What do you know?" he bursted out. "What is going on?"

"Appa is poisoning her."

The world swayed under his feet. "What?"

"She mixes something into her food," Gauri was explaining quickly and in a low voice, afraid someone else might be listening. "She thought.... she thought that once Chandramukhi will not be able to take care of you, you will just leave. But you are still here! And Appa said.... Appa said that she doesn't need a tawaif who is trying to act like a saintly wife under her roof. Don't you see? Chandramukhi was for years her key to a golden treasure! The wealthiest of men would come here every night just to watch her dance... and if she chose to be with some of them.... well, she was drowning in gold and diamonds! But since you came, since she chose you.... You, you ruined everything for her!" She was no longer trying to keep quiet. "Appa did not mind you while you paid. And even when you run out of money she did not say anything, because enough was still pouring in from those who wanted a moment or two with Chandramukhi. Had she not refused to dance and take someone in for a night from time to time, Appa would let her keep you as her lover. But no. She went mad because of you. She said she wouldn't sleep with anyone. She said she wouldn't even dance for anyone! For almost a year you've been here and she did not earn anything. And Appa has had enough!"

The horrible truth was making him sick. So they were killing her? They were slowly murdering her because she was no longer a golden mine, but they were too cowardly to face her and too possessive to let her go, as well as too vengeful to let her live. Because for a long time they have not heard the clinking of golden coins. They were going to kill her, because they couldn't kill him. He may be a beggar, but from a noble family. While she was their property and her life meant nothing unless she wore her dancing bells. Or unless someone would pay for her even without it...

"You will take care of her," he said to Gauri and got up, releasing Chandramukhi's hand from his own. "Where are you going?" the girl asked, curious and suspicious. He did not answer. "Just tell your Appa if anything happens to her until I return I am going to kill her." With the last lok at the pale face of the woman he loved he left the room. Thoughts were racing through his mind. Money. He needed money. Enough to pay these flesh-traders so they would leave her alone. For the first time he now regretted he had left his home without claiming any of his heirloom. Because it meant that now he will have to beg. But at the same time, he knew that for her life, he could do anything.

"Dharamda!" he called upon the faithful coachman. "Yes, sir?" The little man was always near and ready to serve his master. "You will take me to the railway station. Now." "Of course," he agreed readily. "But may I know where you are off to, sir?"

Devdas was silent for a while. "Home, Dharamda. I need to talk to my brother."