18. Exit the Donut

Mary steps out of her room, making her way over to the living room as she fixes her dress slightly

Mary steps out of her room, making her way over to the living room as she fixes her dress slightly. For Tony's birthday, he requested that she dress how she did back in the forties. So there she stood in shoes and a dress she hadn't worn since she and her husband danced for the first night of the rest of their lives. The emerald dress had been through many decades, but always came out shining. The last she wore it was the night Bucky proposed to her, one of the most happiest nights of her life. She stood in the hallway leading towards the living room and accidentally caught wind of him and Natalie talking. "Do you know which watch you'd like to wear tonight, Mr. Stark?" Natalie asked her boss. Mary could only guess what sultry and tight dress the assistant was wearing. Mary liked the woman, but she could choose any type of dress and look beautiful, but she chose to wear ones that draw the eyes of men. And that wasn't Mary's style.

"I'll give them a look." Tony responds, "But set aside the one my godmother gave to me." He adds and Mary's heart flutters, "I'll probably wear that one."

"Mary Barnes, right?" Natalie asks, "She was your godmother?"

Mary can hear Tony pause, she knows her godson is trying to figure out how to respond. "Rogers- Barnes. She hyphened it the moment she could." Tony corrects his assistant, "Always wanted a part of her family with her." Mary peeks her eyes past the wall to see her son fixing his tie in the mirror. She wanted to fix it for him, but with Natalie present, she couldn't without drawing unwanted questions.

"She must be special to you." Natalie comments.

"She raised me. I love my mother, but Mary, Mama Ree as Rhodey and I called her. She was the one who raised me." Tony states quietly, then looks over at Natalie, "I should just cancel the party, huh?" He asks suddenly, sitting down on the sofa as Natalie walks over to him with a drink for him.

"Probably." She responds.

"Yeah. Cause it's, umm.."

"Ill-timed?"

"Right, sends the wrong message." Tony says and Natalie sits down on the arm of the chair in front of him.

"Inappropriate." She says as she holds out the ointment to apply to his black eye, but Tony stops her, shocking Mary slightly.

"You know the rule. Only Liz takes care of me." He states, taking the ointment from her, then looks over at the wall where the hallway connects, "Liz.. Can you stop eavesdropping and come put this ointment on my face?" He quips quietly. Mary softly walks into the room, her hands clasped in front of herself.

"How'd you know-"

"Because i know you." Tony states, causing Mary to look down at her shoes, smiling softly. Her hair was curled and pinned, framing her face the way Tony remembered as a little boy. It warmed his heart.

Natalie watches the two, then looks at the drink, "Is that dirty enough for you?" She asks her boss.

Mary walks over to her godson, sitting down beside him on the sofa. Tony greets her by taking her hand in his, kissing her temple as he looks up at his assistant, watching her then sighs, "I gotta say, it's hard to get a read on you. Where are you from?" He asks as Mary begins to apply the ointment to his eye carefully.