03. He's still skinny

Steve wasn't happy at all when Mary told him that she would be signing up to aide the Allied troops as a nurse, but there was no stopping her

"You can't sign up, Mary, you have no training as a nurse, and you'll get hurt!" Steve explains, it was true, Mary had no actual training to be a nurse, on the field of battle or in a normal hospital. But Mary had taken care of Steve ever since she was able to as a little girl, always bandaging him up when he'd get hurt, figuring out how to stop his asthma attacks. They didn't have any money to spend on doctor fees, so Mary did everything herself.

"That may be true, but they'll teach me there, and i have experience from taking care of you." She retorts, standing up, "Look, you can either support it, or not, i don't care, you've decided to go out there and kill yourself, so i'm coming along to make sure that wont happen." She states, finality in her words as she walks to her room, leaving Steve there on the couch to think about what this means for them now.

Camp Lehigh, Wheaton, New Jersey1943

Camp Lehigh,
Wheaton, New Jersey
1943

Mary walked out of the tent, smiling down at her uniform, she looks up, seeing all the new recruits gathered in lines, looking to the shoulder, seeing Doctor Erskine. She had been introduced to the man a few days prior when she was getting situated and adjusted. The doctor had taking a liking to the young girl, and vise versa, seeing a lot of potential in her talents for the medical profession.

The nurse walks up to the Doctor, looking around, spotting Steve, cringing a bit at how different he is compared to the other recruits. Looking between the two men, Doctor Erskine flagged her over to come stand by him.

"Thank you for letting me join." She tells both of them, looking at Doctor Erskine, smiling at him.

"My pleasure, Nurse Rogers." Erskine tells her, "I've seen you train under the more experienced nurses here at Camp. I can see potential in you, how would you like to work beside me during your stay here?" He offers, Mary's eyes widen in shock, but a smile blooms on her face.