01. The Future

Brooklyn, New York1943

Brooklyn, New York
1943

Mary Rogers turns to look at her older brother as they enter the theater, purchasing the tickets and walk into the theater room, she sees the stress is etched onto his facial features, the way his eyebrows are furrowed, his lips pulled into a thin line, clearly thinking about how to enlist again after receiving another 4F.

"Rogers. What did your father die of?" The enlistment doctor asks Steve. Having rehearsed his answers multiple times, Steve knew the answers and cited them the best he could while trying to sound convincing.

"Mustard gas. He was in the hundred and seventh infantry. I was hoping I could be assigned.." Steve pleads after he gives his answer, the doctor eyes him, then continues with his procedure.

"And your Mother?"

"She was a nurse in a TB ward. Got hit, couldn't shake it.." Steve replies, hesitating, knowing the doctor is looking over his list health issues

"Sorry son." The doctor starts but Steve, all too willing to give his life for his country, starts to plead with the doctor, "Look, just give me a chance." Steve begs. He hears the door open, heels clacking against the marble flooring.

"Steven Grant Rogers! What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Mary shouts as she enters the enlistment office, ignoring the looks she gets from other men as she marches her way over to her brother.

The doctor winces at the tone the woman uses, eyeing the boy in front of him, "You'd be ineligible on your asthma alone." He tells Steve as the woman walks next to him

Steve doesn't have the heart to look at his sister's face at the moment, he's too concerned still with begging the doctor to let him enlist, "Is there anything you can do?"

The doctor shakes his head, "i'm doing it. I'm saving your life." He says, his tone telling Steve that it's final. Steve deflates as the doctor stamps 4F onto his card.

Mary thanks the doctor, giving him a small, but grateful smile. She turns to Steve as he buttons up his shirt, "How could you do this, Steve? To me? To Bucky? To us?" She asks him, then stops before she could say anymore, not wanting to take her anger out on him anymore, she sighs, "let's watch a movie hm?" She suggests to her older brother, fixing his hair a bit.

Steve nods, not wanting to talk at the moment, he simply hums in response as they walk down to the theater.

The two siblings sit down in the theater seats, Steve still not willing to talk about what happened, the look of disappointment clear on his face

"Steve, you have to stop this." Mary tells him, she's worried for Steve, her only family left in the world, "the doctor said you're ineligible because of your asthma alone, not to mention everything else." She adds, watching him closely, "I can't lose you too, i won't, not if i can do anything about it."