Lodging

It is nighttime; rain falls heavily upon a small, dirty-looking town.

Bree - on the borders of the Shire

A figure wearing a pack and a raincoat walks through the streets. A disheveled-looking man with his hood down walks across the street, eating a carrot. The figure with the pack is considerably shorter than the other people on the street. The figure walks up to a building and pauses, inspecting the sign hung above the door. It says, "The Prancing Pony." The figure, which is Thorin, looks about, then enters the tavern. As he walks through, the bartender hands a drink to a man.

Bartender:
There you are.

There is much raucous talk and laughter throughout the busy tavern. A black cat perches on a counter. A waitress {played by Katie, Peter Jackson's daughter} threads through the crowd at the pub carrying a mug and a platter of cheese and bread. Drunk and unruly customers get in her way, and she moves around them.

Waitress:
Watch it!

She makes her way to Thorin's table and sets down the mug and platter.

Waitress:
Here you are.

Thorin:
Thank you.

Thorin puts down his pipe, which he had been smoking. He tears apart his bread and begins to eat it. As he eats, he looks around at all the activities going on in the pub. Sensing something, he looks to the right and sees a bald, suspicious-looking man watching him. He looks to his left and sees another shady character watching him. Thorin puts his bread back on his plate and, as the two men stand up and move toward him, slowly wraps his hand around the handle of his sword, which is strapped to his pack next to him.

Suddenly, a figure appears at the table in front of him. It is Gandalf, and he sits across from Thorin.

Gandalf:
Mind if I join you?

[As the waitress passes by, Gandalf catches her sleeve.]

Gandalf:
I'll have the same.

The suspicious men back away as Gandalf begins to speak to Thorin.

Gandalf:
I should introduce myself. My name is Gandalf. Gandalf the Grey.

Thorin:
I know who you are.

Gandalf:
Well now! This is a fine chance. What brings Thorin Oakenshield to Bree?"

Thorin:
I received word that my father had been seen wandering the Wilds near Dunland. I went looking, and found no sign of him.

Gandalf:
Ah, Thrain.

He said in with a sad tone. Thorin just glared at Gandalf.

Thorin:
You're just like the others. You think he's dead.

He accused him.

Gandalf:
I was not at the battle of Moria.

Thorin:
No, but I was.

Cut to a flashback, and Thorin was narrating.

Azog was hold Thror's head in his hand in triumph. Thorin, and Thrain looked shock at the sight of this.

Thorin:(V.O).
My grandfather Thror was slain.

Thorin:
Noooo!

He shouted as Azog threw Thror's head towards him. Thorin was about to charge him, but Thrain stopped him.