Desolation of Smaug Pt.1

It is morning in Laketown; the people crowd along the sides of the main channel as a boat is loaded with supplies for the dwarves to take to the mountain.

Bilbo:
You do know we’re one short; where’s Bofur?

Thorin:
If he’s not here, we leave him behind.

Balin:
We have to, if we’re to find the door before nightfall. We can risk no more delays.

They march along the pier and the dwarves begin to board the boat. They are fully decked out in armor and regal clothing. Thorin stops Kili before he can get in the boat.

Thorin:
Not you. We must travel with speed, you will slow us down.

Kili smiles, thinking Thorin is joking.

Kili:
What are you talking about? I’m coming with you.

Thorin:
No.

Fili, already in the boat, turns and looks at Thorin and Kili.

Kili:
I’m going to be there when that door is opened, when we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin.”

Thorin:
Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you’re healed.”

Thorin lays his hand on Kili’s shoulder and smiles at him, but Kili looks shocked and betrayed. Thorin turns to board the boat. Kili turns away. Oin gets out of the boat.

Oin:
I’ll stay with the lad. My duty lies with the wounded.”

Fili:
Uncle, we grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You can’t take that away from him!”

On the shore, Oin is examining Kili, but Kili is trying to pull away from him.

Thorin:
Fili.

Fili:
I will carry him, if I must!

Thorin:
One day you will be king, and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf, not even my own kin.

Fili looks at Kili, then steps out of the boat. Thorin tries to stop him.

Thorin:
Fili, don’t be a fool. You belong with the Company.

Fili:
I belong with my brother.

Fili pulls away from Thorin and goes to join Kili and Oin.

The musicians of Laketown play their instruments as the Master climbs up to a raised platform. He waves, and the people cheer and clap.

Further away in a house in the town, a sleeping Bofur is woken up by the sound of the music. He is asleep under a table, and as he jolts upright, he smacks his head on the bottom of the table.

Bofur:
By my beard, is that the time? Oh, ugh.

Bofur smacks his head on the underside of the table as he scrambles up unsteadily and runs out the door, grabbing a glass of drink on his way. In the background, the Master is addressing the people. Bofur runs as fast as he can toward the crowd.

Master:
...Bring good fortune to all!

The Master smiles and waves to the dwarves in the boat as they pull into the canal and begin to paddle away. Kili looks on miserably from the dock. The dwarves in the boat smile, wave, and bow at the cheering people.

Dori:
Goodbye!

Bofur pushes his way through the townspeople and reaches the water, only to find the boat of dwarves far off down the canal. He turns and finds Kili, Fili, and Oin.