Pillar of Salt.

"Pick up. Pick up," you hold the phone against your ear and hold back a cry, "Please, Matty." You haven't slept all night. Everything is happening so quickly. The sun is barely rising now.

"Y/N?"

You hear his voice coming from your bedroom and you rise to your feet, ending the call. Daredevil marches into your kitchen.

"What the hell are you doing here?" You bark at him, throwing your mask onto the bench, "Where's Alana? Did you find her? Is she safe?" He doesn't look at you, doesn't say a word, just walks over to your sink. You stand opposite the bench, glaring over at him. "You made me look weak," you tell him, frowning as he turns the tap on and holds his hands underneath the warm water, "Why did you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Send me away like I'm your pet."

"You wanted me to let him keep antagonising you?" He asks, blood running down into the drain from his hands. There are a few cuts on his knuckles but the blood isn't coming from him.

"You made me look weak," you repeat, more forcefully now.

He shuts the water off, loudly, slamming the tap down before pausing. Daredevil looks at you, his chest falling slightly, "No. I didn't. He already saw you that way."

Daredevil hands you the towel. You look down, frustrated and embarrassed all at once before taking it and rubbing at your eyes. After a moment, he walks to your bedroom and you follow.

"What about Alana?" You ask nervously, watching him head for your fire escape. Don't go.

He pauses, shoulders stiffening when he tilts his head, barely looking in your direction, "I was too late."

What? Silence fills your apartment. Dread fills your chest. There's a sheen of ice over your arms and neck. You feel sick. He turns to leave.

"Wait!" The word slips out. He turns to you. "You're leaving?"

"I'm..." he trails off, hands tightening in frustration, "I knew this was a bad idea. I don't know why I let you convince me of this."

"I'm in this just as much as you are," you refute, "maybe even more."

"I can't protect you, s-"

"No one's asking you to protect me," you cut him off, shaking your head at him, "I've made it this far. I can't give up-"

"What's it going to take?" Daredevil shouts, snapping around and taking a few fast steps towards you, "You nearly dying?"

"Nothing bad is-"

"You can't guarantee that!"

"What is your problem?" You shout back at him, relieved at the silence that follows, "I came to you for help, you wouldn't be doing this if I hadn't brought it to your attention! I asked for your help, I am in this. So, do your job! You told me to have a little faith in you, right? Faith goes both ways." When he says nothing, your emotions get the best of you and you find yourself pushing against his chest, shoving him lightly, "Are you even listening? Do you understand what I'm saying?"

He wraps his hands around your wrists, stilling you, "Stop."

"No," you whisper back to him, your eyes settled on his lips and the stubble surrounding his chin. You frown at them, "No, I'm..."

"You're not going to let this go, are you?" He whispers back, his voice soft and genuine.

You pause, shaking your head up at him, "No. Just... don't leave. We can figure this out. Don't leave me in the cold."