10

The next few weeks flew by. When Desi wasn't spending time with her family or the girls, she could be found either in Nate's truck or at Fez's. But even her visits at the store were becoming less and less. And that was because of one person.

Getting closer to Nate was one of the best and worst things she ever did. He treated her well and saw her for the person she it. He cared about her interests and dreams. Besides, his family is also dysfunctional and he understood many of her worries and problems. He was almost perfect. If it weren't for his other side. The side he shows to the rest of the world and occasionally to Maddy and now Desi.

According to others, he's like a demon, but no one can attest to that. Well, almost nobody. Except Tyler Clarkson, but he wouldn't open his fucking mouth after Nate beat him up. Destiny has already put together what Nate did to him. She felt incredibly sorry for Tyler, just like she felt sorry for Maddy.

When she spent the days with Maddy, she felt like she had found her soulmate. They both had this weird connection from the beginning and Destiny didn't want Nate to come between them. And I know some will point the finger at her now or call her a bitch for betraying her friend.

But believe me she does everything for a reason.

————

I walk into Fez' store and start looking for the drink I've been craving all day. It takes me some time but I finally find it and grab two bottles. I also grab a few chocolate bars and walk towards the cash register. Ashtray is already looking at me in his usual grumpy way and I smile at him. "What's up?" "Nothing. Just business," he answers and I nod. I still don't know how to feel about a child handling drugs and all. "Is Fez in the back?" I ask him and pay for the stuff. "He's busy. I'll tell him you came by" He looks pretty hostile but I know he's slowly warming up to me. "Thanks" I grab my stuff and walk towards the door when he calls me back.

I turn to him in confusion and he slides a piece of paper across the counter. "I don't fuck with all the stuff Fez does but imma protect his ass. He likes you, I protect you," he tells me and I put the paper in my pocket. It has a phone number written on it. "I appreciate it," I tell him and a loud honk makes him look past me. "Be careful around pretty boy over there" I nod and walk back to Nate's truck.

He drives off as soon as I get in the passenger seat. "What did he say to you?" he asks me and I put my seat belt on with a sigh. "It's not important" "It looked like it was. Tell me," he demands and I stare out of the window. "Get off my back, Nate. We just talked" He stays silent after that but I know he's seething inside.

I keep humming to the music while Nate drives me home. We're almost in front of my house and he still hasn't said a word after I shut his questions down. He's giving me the silent treatment and I actually prefer that over him getting angry. But he'll take is anger out on others if we don't solve this issue right now. "Stop pouting," I tell him and he looks at me in annoyance before stopping the car a few houses before mine. That way my parents can't see me getting out of his car. "Fuck off" "I will in a second. But I know you'll do something stupid as soon as I leave"

"What the fuck do you want?! Just shut up," he yells all of a sudden. A part of me feels sad about getting screamed at for no reason but the other, bigger part of me gets defensive. "And that's why nobody wants to deal with your stupid ass," I hiss in anger and quickly get out of the car. "Dez, wait" I ignore his words and start walking towards my house. "Desi, wait," he repeats himself and gets out of the car. "Go home, Nate. You're pissing me off"

"I can't believe we're fighting because of that midget. He's just as retarted as the ginger" What did he just say?! I angrily turn to him and point my finger at him. "What did you just say?!" I yell at him. "It's not that big of a deal-" "Shut the fuck up! I will not just stand by and let you talk about them that way. They are someone's son's. Have some respect!" I warn him and he starts to chuckle. "Calm down. They're drug dealers-"