18

Maddy knew who she was from a very early age.

For as long as Maddy could remember, everybody loved her. She never knew exactly what it was. She just knew that she had something special. Something intangible. Something immeasurable. And it gave her confidence. That's why she loved pageantry, because you didn't have to be the prettiest, or the tallest, or the blondest, or the whitest. You just had to have fucking confidence. And she probably would have gone on to win Miss Universe. If it weren't for this guy.

————

"Desi, where have you been? I texted you twenty minutes ago that Rue found Gia and Naomi," Kyle asks me anxiously as I cross the parking lot and join him at my car. "I stopped by the chili booths again and apologized to Mrs. and Mr. Jacobs for my behavior. My sass was unnecessary and inappropriate," I lie, pulling my jacket tighter around me so it covers any exposed skin. "Is everything okay? Did they say something?" he continues to ask and I shake my head, then look next to him where my sister is standing with her eyes fixed on the floor.

"Naomi," I say her name and she lifts her head to look at me. "Where were you and why didn't you answer your phone?" I ask seriously and she hesitantly looks to Kyle who nods at her. "Gia and I were with Troy and Roy. I-I didn't hear my phone ring," she replies and I silently let her appearance sink in before nodding. "I know you're stoned, and I'm not happy that you surround yourself with people like that, but I guess there's not much I can say. If one of us is the disappointment, it's me, so I'll let you do what you want. Just don't scare me like that again," I tell her honestly before pressing a kiss to her temple and walking around the car to the driver's seat.

————

Her dreams were dashed by some random 50 year old creep who didn't molest her, let alone ever meet her. She refused to eat for a week out of protest. But then she realized how much she liked not doing anything. Maddy would never say it out loud, especially not today because everybody's so political, but she never really had any desire to have a career or job. She was just interested in doing what she did, just without school and the other bullshit.

Her mother was an esthetician, which is a fancy way of saying she gave pedicures to rich people. And her dad was a drunk who was always pretending to hold jobs longer than he did. She quickly realized that there are two kinds of people in the world. The people who sit in the chairs, with their feet in the foot bath. And the people who kneel in front of the foot bath. She used to sit and study the women who came in. She'd pay attention to what they wore and what they'd talk about. And what she realized was that none of them actually did anything. I mean, they may have had children to raise or like, homes to decorate, but at the end of the day, they literally did nothing. They literally did nothing.

And strangely, none of them had confidence.

————

"Good night," I say softly, then tuck my sister in and press a kiss to her forehead. Naomi is too old to be tucked into bed, but because I see so little of her now, I couldn't help myself. She's too high to complain about being treated like a baby anyway.

"Desi"

I stop at the door of her room and turn to her. "Yeah?" "I'm sorry I made you worry and disappointed you. It won't happen again," she apologizes sleepily, and I smile. "Nothing you've ever done or will ever do will disappoint me. You're young and curious...I get it. I just want you to be aware of the dangers of the world," I assure her and she nods, yawning. "Are you going to tell Mom and Dad about this?" "I don't talk to Lilith anymore and Dad doesn't have to know about it if it stays a one-time thing," I reply and she exhales in relief. "Thank you, Sis. I love you" "I love you too. Sleep tight," I reply with a smile and turn off the light, then walk out of her room and close the door.