16

"Have you made any new friends yet?" Kyle asks, turning to face the back seat. "I would say I have three good friends. Rue's sister Gia and her two friends. I don't give a shit about anyone else," Naomi replies and I frown. "Why do you say that?" I question in confusion, watching her shrug her shoulders through the rearview mirror. But a response to my question doesn't follow and I glance at Kyle. He looks just as confused as I am. "You would tell us if someone was treating you badly, right? We don't have secrets, remember?" I say in an effort to keep my composure and Naomi sighs.

"It's nothing bad, okay? Just a couple of girls get on my nerves because they spread rumors about you and our family. But I took care of them," she reveals and my grip around the steering wheel tightens. "Don't listen to what other people say. They have no idea and in the end, they're just out to play mind games with you anyway," Kyle tells her and I look at him gratefully. "Thanks, Kyle. But I don't care about what they say. I know the truth and everything else doesn't matter," she retorts and I bring my car to a stop at a red light, then turn so I can face the back seat. "I'm always here for you if you need anything. Fuck what any idiots or mom say, okay? Together we're strong, Naomi. Remember that," I say seriously and she reaches for my hand.

With a smile, I press a kiss to the back of her hand before turning back to the front. At the same moment, my phone lights up and my eyes fall on Nate's picture on my screen. Instead of answering the call, I focus on the traffic light and continue driving as soon as it turns green.

"Who's Nate?" Naomi asks curiously, and I take my phone out of its holder and tuck it under my thigh. "A friend," I reply curtly, continuing to focus on the road. "He's been trying to call you all day. You can answer if you want," Kyle says empathetically and I smile at him. I already know what he wants from me. Nate asked me to go to Carnival with him earlier today, but that was after Kyle surprised me. So I told him I would be there, but I couldn't go with him. He's been trying to call me ever since, but I don't feel like arguing with him. That's why I don't answer the phone.

"It's okay. I will see him there"

————

Nate Jacobs is pissed off. He's been trying to get Desi on the phone all day, but she ignores him like he's not worth her time. While she assured him she would be at Carnival, she didn't reveal who she was going with.

So he resorted to his other option and texted Maddy. She said yes, but the outfit she showed up in made him just as angry as Desi's behavior. Neither of them seems to care how important it is for his father to win the chili cook-off today. Nate felt that his girlfriend should stand by him and not ignore him or show up dressed like a hooker.

————

I carefully put the protective headphones on Rosie, who is in Kyle's arms, before pressing a kiss to her cheek. Then I take her stroller out of the trunk, set it up, and put her diaper bag inside. "Alright, we are ready. Naomi, where are you meeting Gia?" I ask my sister and she scrolls on her phone for a second before pointing at the Gravitron. "She said Rue will wait with her until we get there," she replies, pocketing her phone.

"Alright, let's go"

I strongly remember how the crowd parted as Desi approached us. It was her first public debut with Rosie and the people did not disappoint in their reactions. Like fucking bitches everyone started whispering and talking shit. Some even had the audacity to point fingers at her and Rosie. It was fucking rude and it was obvious to see how uncomfortable the whole thing was for Desi, but she kept her head up high with a determined fire in her eyes.

At no moment did I admire as much as I did then.

————

"You are doing great, babe," Kyle quietly cheers me up and I take one deep breath before nodding. Feeling all the judgmental looks on me and hearing the whispering is like someone poured a bucket of ice-cold water on me. Coming here with Rosie suddenly doesn't seem like a good idea anymore, but the encouraging words and looks Naomi and Kyle offer me help me calm down a little. "Yes, sis, you look like royalty. Show these losers that you have the power. No one is going to bring us down," Noami agrees with him and I smile at her.