12

Drugs are kind of cool. I mean, they're cool before they wreck your skin. And your life. And your family. That's when they get uncool. It's actually a very narrow window of cool.

————

I tiredly open my eyes and watch in awe as the walls of my room change colors. The pill I took earlier is just now starting to kick in and I couldn't be any happier. Marta is taking care of Rosalyn for the night and dad is over at my mother's house. I think Naomi is with them but I'm not sure. Lilith won't really let me see her. Yup, I've reached the point where I start calling her by her name. Why should I call her my mom when she's literally trying to ruin my life for her satisfaction? Like, doesn't she know how much it hurts to lose a child. Or maybe she just doesn't miss me at all and can't relate. Anyways, fuck her.

What I'm trying to focus on is the euphoric feeling this pill gives me. It's way better than anything I've ever had, well almost anything. Being showered with love comes close to this feeling. That makes me think of Nate again and I look at my phone on the nightstand. Maybe I should call him? I was kinda bitchy earlier but he deserved it. Should I just stay here and stare at my wall?

It suddenly starts ringing and I look at the caller ID with a frown. It's Nate. I immediately answer the call ind hold the phone to my ear. "What do you want, Nate?" "I'm taking you out today. I'll be there in 20 minutes," he tells me and I shake my head. The desperate and drugged up part of me wants to see him, but something holds me back. "Didn't you hear what I told you earlier? I want you to leave me alone if you're just going to play with my feelings," I answer and he sighs. "I'm serious about you. Get ready" The call disconnects and I stare at my phone in confusion. I shouldn't go and see him. He's been acting weird and he's literally in a relationship. But we're also just friends and I deserve to have fun after the shitty week I've had.

————

I stare at my reflection one more time and pull my dress down a bit before I grab my keys. My phone vibrates and I see Nate's name pop up on the screen. But suddenly Maddy's appears too.

Maddy 💕💸: desi
Maddy 💕💸: are u at home?
Desi 💅🏻💸: helping my dad cook. what's up?
Maddy 💕💸: I just left Nate's house after I found some weird shit in his phone
Desi 💅🏻💸: what was it?

Maddy 💕💸: I wanna tell u in person. can we meet?
Desi 💅🏻💸: my dad wants me home today. family bonding or some shit
Maddy 💕💸: fuck. I need to talk to someone
Desi 💅🏻💸: maybe Cassie?
Maddy 💕💸: she's out with McKay and Kat is acting weird lately

Incoming Call from Nate

Desi 💅🏻💸: then tell me tomorrow. I need to go
Maddy 💕💸: alright ly
Desi 💅🏻💸: lyt

Maddy and Destiny actually never talked about what Maddy found in Nate's phone. She claimed to have forgotten it when Desi came by the next day. Destiny thought it was weird, but she let her be.

Feelings of guilt are spreading through me and I quickly leave the house before I can change my mind or Nate gets to impatient. He drives off as soon as I get in the truck but he looks kinda pissed off. "What took you so long?" he asks and I watch as the whole world turns purple around us. Glitter is everywhere and I swear that there is the quiet singing of a choir in the background. I gotta ask Ash what the fuck he gave me. "I had to sneak past my father," I lie and he relaxes a bit.

Nate then looks over at me and starts smirking. "You look hot" Heat flushes my body and I slightly squirm in my seat. "Thank you," I reply and he puts his right hand on my thigh. It's warmth makes me feel good but it shouldn't. "Where are we going?" "I'm taking you on a date" "That sounds nice. But why? I'm not your girlfriend," I ask and he squeezes my thigh. "You're much more than that. What I have with Maddy could never compare to what we have" I can feel my lips lifting up in a smile. "I know you'll always stay by my side. It's comforting," he adds and I grab his hand.