Chapter 6

No, too casual

No, too casual

Ew, what's that?

When did I buy this I've never seen this before

It's 7 p.m. and I have to leave the house in half an hour if I want to get to the restaurant on time.

Sorting through my tons of clothes I try to find something appropriate to wear which turns out to be more difficult than expected.

Be honest with me: What would you wear to a dinner with someone you barely know and the rest of your family?

"Well, I think this one is okay", I mumble to myself, a white and little transparent blouse in my hand.

Five minutes later I'm standing in front of the mirror and for the first time in a while, I like what is staring back at me:

Wearing my favorite black jeans I have also worn this morning with the blouse I fished out of my wardrobe and a light jacket on top I brush through my wavy hair.

While I put my pearl necklace around my neck and tie my converse I wonder if I should go out like this. I mean, for ages I've been trying to protect myself from comments from my family by wearing mostly inconspicuous and baggy clothes.

But coming to the conclusion, that this dinner is all about Norbert and mom, I ban those thoughts from my mind and make my way to the front door with my book .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A short time later I'm standing in front of our favorite Italian restaurant, already able to smell the different dishes and hear the people talking inside

Pushing the door open I hear my name from the right of the restaurant.

There is my mom waving over to me and smiling, next to her Norbert wearing a white shirt just like my brother sitting across from my mother.

Walking over to the table next to the window, I welcome everyone, strip off my jacket, and put it next to the book on the windowsill.

"I'm so happy that you are here", my mother says with a childish grin, left hand in Norberts, looking at me and Charles.

"Yeah, it was a nice idea from you mom!", my brother responds before I have the chance to do so.

"Totally! So what about you. What have you all done today?", I say trying to start a conversation.

Shortly after my brother told us about his day with Amber and Norbert and mom informed us about their day at the mall shopping for new furniture the waitress arrived, the menu in her hand, and with it my challenge.

After ordering some sparkling water I turn my gaze to the countless possibilities of different dishes.

Oh god, what should I choose?