2

Finnick’s POV

I sat on my desk surrounded by files, most of which were useless. This doesn’t make sense. How does an innocent everyday American disappear out of thin air?

I was first handed this case one month into the start of the investigation.

Sitting on my desk, I overheard some of my fellow detectives and some of the police officers from the precinct discussing the case.

“How does one vanish out of the blue? It makes no sense.” said Lt. Isaiah.

“Not sure. This case is puzzling as hell.” said Officer Pham.

“Y'all wanna go to the bar after work. Drinks on me!” said Detective Carlos. 

I despised Detective Carlos. I always saw him as more of a joke that was hired for April Fools. To this day, I’m waiting for Chief Eric to pop out of a random bush and say “April Fools!” cause this is not funny anymore. How does he even have a job here? And why was he given this case when he’s not qualified enough?

After the men left to go harass Chief Eric’s secretary, I stayed behind and worked on filling out my papers. I had just finished looking into a drug criminal who’s been tainting our streets with narcotics. We finally caught him after a few months of nothing but following him based on tips from citizens. 

It was 9:00 pm right now. I actually like this job so I’m willing to stay after hours to work. Chief doesn’t mind as long as I don’t drink or have sex in the office. A knock sounded from the wooden door which echoed in my room. I jumped up, startled by the noise. I looked up to the door as it opened. In came Pamela, the Chief’s secretary. I wondered why she was still at work but remembered that she and the Chief are having a sort of fling.

I once talked to Pamela, asking her why she doesn’t tell the Chief about the harassment from some of the men. She says that as long as they’re not touching her, she’s fine. I was saddened because she believes that her being borderline sexually assulted is not a big deal. She swore to me not to say anything. I didn’t want to say yes but agreed since I want her to tell him when she’s ready. And I hope that’s soon. 

“Detective Finnick, Chief Eric wants to speak with you.” She said in her sweet innocent voice. How the Chief landed her, I don’t know. Might’ve been luck. I wish I had luck.

“Pam, just call me Finn. We can skip the formal callings.” I said to her. She giggled.

“Oh Finn, what am I to do with you?” She waved at me bye and I waved back. She walked out of my office and I stood up, making sure to brush any dust off me. I straightened my tie which I had loosened up earlier. I kept my sleeves rolled up, revealing my muscular and tanned arms.

“You wanted to see me, Chief?” I asked, poking my head into his office.

“Yes, Detective Finnick. I wanted to talk to you about Mark Hudson’s case.” He spoke in a raspy voice. He took a sip of his coffee but didn’t look up at me.

“Oh actually I’m not on the case so I can’t say anything. You can ask Pham or Lt. Isaiah. But I’m pretty sure they’re getting drunk right now.” I spoke, scoffing at the mention of tweedledee and tweedledum. 

“That’s not what I wanted to talk to you about. I wanted to let you know that the case is being handed to you.” He looked at me with his tired dark brown eyes. I thought he was joking at first but this is Chief Eric. He’s essentially like God in this place so when he asks you to do something, you do it with no questions!

“Are you sure, sir? I think you’ve assembled a great team to handle the case.” I cringed when I called those three great. They’re anything but.