Chapter 3 A Feral Across Time

From the day that James Logan Howlett returned to his daughter Jade, he never left her side. They remained in Spain with her uncle Victor, who had returned from America after the Civil War until her grandparents passed away. While they were living in the palace, James and Victor showed Jade how to fight, much to her grandmother's dismay. But James compromised and had Isabella teach Jade to be a lady. It wasn't something that Jade enjoyed as she would rather be with her father and uncle rather than learning to sew and learning to be a lady of nobility. But her father had asked her to learn, and she would not disappoint him.

It wasn't until Jade turned thirteen that her powers began to manifest. As it was for James, her claws were the first to appear. She had been sparing with her Uncle, and Victor started mocking her.

“Come on, pipsqueak, is that the best you can do?” Victor said as he dodged her attack. He laughed as she lunged for him and Jade fell face first in the dirt.

“You're weak and clumsy, just like your dad used to be at your age, and he is still a weakling.”

That was one thing that Jade could not stand, someone saying something about her father. She screamed and charged her uncle; suddenly, bone claws came out from between her knuckles, and she slammed them into Victor's stomach. James, who had been watching, yelled out, “Jade!”

James ran towards Jade and Victor, concerned when he saw tears streaming down Jade's face. He picked her up and tried to soothe her, “I killed Uncle Victor, Daddy! I didn't mean to!”

“Shh, pup, you didn't kill him; Victor is fine.”

Jade looked at her father, “You promise?”

“I promise,” Then James kicked his brother, “Victor, stop pretending you're dead. You're upsetting Jade.”

Victor opened his eyes and laughed at the horrified look on his niece's face. She scowled at her uncle, “You halfwit, you scared me half to death!”

Victor hopped up and laughed as Jade huffed at him when he ruffled her hair, “You have your dad's powers, huh?”

Jade looked down at her fists, her claws had gone back, and the holes had closed. Jade looked at her father, amazed, “Does it always hurt when they come out?”

James smiled sadly, “Every time, Pup.”

James hugged his daughter tightly and kissed her head, “I was hoping that you wouldn't inherit my gifts but your mother's instead. I didn't want you to go through the pain that I do.”

“Yeah, but, Jimmy, if the kid has your other powers. She won't be able to die,” Victor told his brother.

That thought had not occurred to James, suddenly a wave of relief washed over James at the idea of having his daughter with him, always. James couldn't stand thinking that he would outlive his pup. Now that was one less thing James had to worry about his daughter.

Now that James knew that Jade had inherited his claws and healing, he wondered if his daughter would also inherit his feral traits. When James was her age, the animalistic characteristics didn't appear right away. It took a few months, and gradually, James noticed the changes in his senses and behavior.
James decided that it was in Jade's best interest to explain that she may have also inherited those traits from him.

James reached out for his daughter's hand, “Pup, I need to talk to you.”

Jade looked up at her father as she took his hand, “Alright, Daddy, what do you want to talk to me about?”

James led his daughter to the garden, and they sat down, “Do you understand what's happening to you?”

“Yes, Daddy, I'm getting your gifts. Does that mean I'll get my mother's as well?”