Chapter 9 A Small Demonstration

As Jade made her towards the front door, she spotted Remy with Rebekah. She smiled and walked toward them. Remy spotted Jade and invited her over, “Ah, I see you are ready to leave, Mon Ami; let me introduce you to Miss Rebekah Mikaelson.”

Jade smiled at Rebekah and offered her hand, “It's nice to meet you, Rebekah; I'm Jade Howlett.”

Rebekah shook Jade's hand, “It's nice to meet you, Jade. Are you leaving so soon?”

“I'm afraid so; I have some arrangements to make for tomorrow, but Remy, you can stay; I see you're enjoying yourself with Rebekah, and I don't want to interrupt.”

Rebekah frowned; she didn't like the idea of Jade walking home alone with so many vampires around. “Are you sure I can have a car take you home, or perhaps we can walk you?”

Jade laughed, “No, that's alright, enjoy your ball. Goodnight, you two.” With that, Jade left the compound.

Rebekah worried Remy, “Are you sure you should let your friend walk home alone?”

Remy chuckled, “Do not worry, petit; Jade is more than capable of taking care of herself. Now shall we dance?”

Rebekah was still a little apprehensive, but when she spotted Nik grabbing his jacket and leaving, she relaxed and accepted Remy's offer.

It was late as Jade made her way back to the hotel. The jazz players had all gone home for the night and deserted the streets. Her guard was instantly up, and she reached out with her senses to hear for any danger; now, all Jade could hear was Klaus's footsteps a good distance away.

Jade chuckled inwardly; well, he was proving to be a protector as a mate should be; that was a good thing. As Jade walked toward her hotel, she thought about her dance with Klaus. It was the most sensual dance she had ever had, and Jade instantly felt the mate bond with Klaus, but she could tell he had no idea what was going on. From what little information Jade had gathered from the telepaths, this man was half Vampire and Werewolf, but he had only recently unlocked his werewolf side. And Jade knew that if he barely came into his wolf side, Klaus had no idea what his instincts were trying to tell him, let alone how to use them. Compared to Jade, Klaus was an inexperienced pup in an adult's body.

As Jade considered the situation she was in, she suddenly stopped and sighed. At that moment, a man grabbed her, covered her mouth, and dragged her into an alley. From his scent, Jade knew that it was a Vampire, and there were numerous. Her head was slammed hard against the building, and she grunted. The Vampire smirked at her and leaned in closer, “So, you're the new bitch Klaus is interested in. That's too bad for you, everyone that Klaus is interested in ends up dead, and you won't be the exception.”

The vampire ran his hand up Jade's thigh, “But first, I think we'll have a little fun with you.” The vampire grinned, and his friends laughed. He suddenly frowned when he noticed that Jade had a bored look on her face, and her heart wasn't racing in fear. The vampire took a step back and looked into Jade's eyes, curious.

“Why aren't you afraid of us?”

“Why should I be afraid of an asshole and his pathetic lackies?”

The Vampire scoffed, “Most little humans are if they know what's good for them.”

Jade ran her hand down the vampire's chest and stopped where his heart was. She quickly extended her claws and stabbed him in the heart, then grinned and whispered in his ear, “What makes you think I'm human?”

The body immediately desiccated, and the vampire fell to the ground, dead. When the other vampires saw their friend die, they looked at each other confused. Their eyes snapped to Jade, who had now extended her adamantium claws on her left hand, “Anyone else?”

While this was going on, Klaus was lost in thought. The dance kept running through his mind and how perfect Jade fit against his body. There was a rightness about her being in his arms that he had never felt. It was both calming and exciting at the same time. As they danced, Klaus's attraction for this woman only grew, but on a much deeper level than sexual. And when she walked away, Klaus felt a piece of his leave with her. A sudden primal need to chase her filled him. A need to capture Jade and make her his and that feeling confused and worried him. Klaus felt like he was losing control of himself and didn't like it, yet he did.

As he processed his thoughts, he finally noticed that Jade had disappeared. Panic began to set in, but he suddenly felt something pulling down an alley. When he got there, Klaus saw Jade facing off against seven Vampires. Anger and possessiveness filled Klaus that he had never felt before; his face changed to his hybrid face, and using his Vampire speed, Klaus quickly killed all the Vampires that were threatening what was his.

As Jade was about to pounce, she caught Klaus's scent and sheathed her claws just when Klaus ripped out the heart of one of the Vampires. Jade watched as Klaus quickly dispatched the group of vampires. When Klaus finished, he turned toward Jade, he was afraid that she would be frightened of him and his actions, but he was met with an annoyed look.

“Your assistance wasn't necessary, Mr. Mikaelson. I could have handled them just fine on my own.”

Jade's reaction had startled Klaus, she didn't seem frightened or intimidated, and her heart rate was still calm. Her reaction puzzled Klaus. But he walked towards her carefully anyway to not frighten her, “I couldn't take the chance of that scum hurting you.”

Jade scoffed, “I can assure you, Mr. Mikaelson, they would never have touched me. I'm a big girl, and I can take care of myself.”

“Please, call me Klaus, and I couldn't take the chance of you being hurt, Jade.”

“Why?” Jade asked.

Klaus slowly moved closer to Jade until he stood right in front of her. He desperately wanted to grab her and pull her into a kiss, but he controlled himself. Klaus stared into Jade's hazel eyes, then leaned against hers, “I don't know. I have this overwhelming urge to protect you, and I don't understand it. I don't know you, but you are very important to me. And you're such a helpless human, the need to protect you is even stronger,” Klaus explained.

Jade smiled at him, “I appreciate your concern, Klaus, but I assure you that nothing would have happened.”

Suddenly the shadows shot out and wrapped themselves around Klaus's arms and legs and dragged him away from Jade. Klaus looked at Jade in confusion and honestly, a slight twinge of fear that he tried to hide, but Jade picked it up in his scent.

“As you can see, I am neither helpless nor human. It was nice to see you again, Klaus, and thank you. Perhaps we'll meet again.”

Klaus stared at Jade wide-eyed and with his mouth hanging open as he struggled against the shadow restraints, “What kind of witch are you?” Klaus asked in awe as Jade stepped into the shadow and vanished.

The shadows released Klaus, and the last thing he heard was, “Who said I was supernatural?”

Klaus stood there and looked around, there was no trace of Jade, but her intoxicating scent lingered. After that display of power, Klaus was even more determined to find out more about Jade and make her his. He didn't want her for the power she could give him; Klaus wanted Jade because he needed her in his life. A primal urge taunted him, and he had to figure it out before it drove him insane.

Klaus also couldn't believe that he spilled his guts to her about how he felt. It was out of character for him to do something like that, but he felt the need to explain himself to Jade. Klaus needed to have her understand that all he wanted was to protect her. There were so many things running through his mind, but Klaus decided to keep his encounter with Jade to himself. He didn't need his siblings getting in his way of his pursuit of Jade.