[два: a siren's call]

chapter two

chapter two

{Castor}

          "CHRIST," THE DIRECTOR GRUNTED IN HIS USUAL GRUFF voice that rumbled with an echo of horror. "This is the seventh man murdered this month."

"Any clues as to who it could be?" Kade asked as we all gathered around the table for our meeting. Director Omar tucked his phone away, fury reckoning in his chocolate eyes after the heated call with the city's police chief.

"No idea," he replied, sinking into his chair. "It was another Serpent fanatic."

"Those fuckers creep me out," Levi shuddered in disgust. 

"It's the only clue that ties the murders together."

 "Which could only mean that the Kolsovs were involved somehow," I voiced out. "The Kolsovs are always involved with the Serpents, especially after Aria Russo took them down."

Kade puckered his lips. "There's no evidence that suggests she did."

I sent my friend a deadpan look, wondering whether he was actually naive or just plain stupid. "Everyone knows she did it. It's all the Underground talks about. And now that she's off-grid, don't you think that's a bit suspicious?"

Kade glowered at me but didn't respond, whilst Director Omar hummed, thoughtfully. "Do you think she's involved in these murders?"

"Just because she destroyed the Serpents, doesn't mean that she's killing fanatics," I explained, crossing an arm over my chest. "My money is on Marielle Kolsov."

"That girl is golden, Castor," Levi snorted in disbelief. "She literally was seen at an animal shelter last week. There were pictures of her playing with puppies. Puppies! To be honest, I think she's the only one who wouldn't have done this."

"I heard that she wanted to break away from her family's business," Parker pointed out, shattering his brooding silence, but I shook my head.

"The ones with the sweetest smiles are always the deadliest. Her brother is seen working with mob bosses and drug lords, spreading his wing across almost 65% of real estate in America. But Marielle? She's seen hosting charity galas, donating her time and money to people and animals in need, fighting for women's rights and working with NGOs to stop trafficking. There's no way a girl like her hasn't gotten a few skeletons in her closet."

Kade's dark eyes narrowed as he scrunched his nose. "I don't know, mate. Sounds like a far stretch."

I sank into my seat, knowing that these fools were too enamoured by the Ice Princess to see past her false facade. "Marielle Kolsov may seem like a bambi, but I promise she's a wolf."

Director Omar deliberated over my words before finally saying, "The NYPD has given us full privileges because the Mayor wants this sorted quickly and quietly. With the election around the corner, this does not look good."