[десять: cuffed]

chapter ten

chapter ten

{Marielle}

           THE JAPANESE CLAIMED THAT WE HAD THREE FACES.  The one we show the world. The one we show to those we love. And the one we never reveal; that was the truest reflection of ourselves. One could say that I'd never seen the truest version of myself, only shards and fragments of someone I pieced together, performing to those around me in the hope that I could repair what was broken and rebuild my armour. 

As I revisited Paisley, who slept soundly in the hospital chair beside Eileen's bed, I wondered whether I'd ever have the opportunity to learn the final version of myself. Or would it be in the face of death as someone skinned my face off my skull, would I finally learn? Morbid, I admit, but if I wasn't thinking about all the 500 ways I could potentially die today, was I truly living?

"You're back again," Paisley murmured, without opening her eyes. Her head relaxed on the headrest, her hands clasped on her lap, ankles crossed over the other. She looked uncomfortable, yet, she said nothing but, "Why are you back?"

"I worry," I answered. She responded by opening one eye. "Every time, I close my eyes, I can't help but think what if it was you."

Now wide awake, Paisley studied me. "This wasn't your fault." Yes, it was. "You had no control over this." They were after me. "You weren't to blame." I always am

I didn't say anything to make her think otherwise as I knew it would only result in a pointless argument that neither of us would give in to. Plus, I could see how exhausted she was. 

With a sigh, I gently nudged her out of the chair, diverting the conversation elsewhere. "Go eat. I'll keep an eye on her until you come back."

"Don't think I know you've stationed two men to follow me wherever I go," This time, I did try to argue, but she gave me a pointed look that had me snap my mouth shut. "While I won't say anything this time, I prefer if you give me a warning next time."

"Hopefully, there won't be a next time," I replied, looking away. I could feel her gaze burning into the back of my head but I didn't look back, only waiting for the door to close before I looked where she once stood. 

The hospital buzzed with quiet humming life, an intercom announcement every once in a while which broke the silence. I could hear the radio in the background as I moved to the window, peeking between the blinds, and inspecting the world beyond here. 

Sunlight sneaked through the cracks, warming my fingertips. I caught Sorren below, dressed as if he worked for the Secret Service. I told him to be discrete and this was the opposite of it. My lips twitched when he looked up, meeting my gaze.

Sorren was tall and broad, body as wide as an eagle's wing span. His dark skin glowed under the sun, braids running down the back of his neck and reaching his nape. A piercing on his right ear glittered as he cocked his head to the side, his lip tugging into a smile when he sent me a wink.