Patchwork

A/N: I know it's been a while! I'm sorry guys. But! I have good news. I already have the next chapter of this fic written, so you'll get two uploads soon. Turns out, angst is a really good motivator for me to write. That being said... good luck on these next few chapters 😏

Ethan's knees bounced as he looked down at the little computer screen. Words flew by, but he knew what he was supposed to type and what buttons to press.

Mark leaned over his shoulder, "How the hell are you managing to read all of that?"

Ethan shrugged, "I just know what I have to do."

The older man nodded, "Ah right. Technokinesis."

They had gone through all of the potential S.W.O.R.D. candidates a couple of days ago. Ethan's official mutation- as they were calling them- was Technokinesis. His previous thought was that it was electricity, but he didn't manage to short Searle's tablet out as the man had asked. Mark had been given the terms 'Psychic Persuasion' and 'Super Strength', Matthew had gotten 'Omnipotence', and Seàn got 'Pathokinesis'- manipulating emotions. After they had each been given their power names, they had to swear to never use them against another S.W.O.R.D. agent unless the agent was going against orders. The whole ordeal scared Ethan quite a bit.

Ethan pressed a couple of buttons, and his dad's face came up. The older man jumped, and Ethan smiled.

"Dad," Ethan kept his voice low.

"Ethan! My god, are you okay? Where are you?" His dad sat up in his recliner.

Ethan glanced around, even though Mark was there keeping watch. "Listen, I don't have long, I'm not supposed to be able to call you. I'm okay, I'm safe."

His dad looked at Ethan's shirt, "Are you one of the people that S.W.O.R.D. is saying they took?" 

Ethan hesitated, technically that was top secret. But... this was his dad. His dad wouldn't tell anyone else.

"You can't tell anyone else. It's supposed to be top secret," Ethan mumbled.

"Ethan, wrap it up," Mark whispered. "Searle will be here any minute."

Ethan nodded, "I have to go. I just wanted to check on you."

His dad smiled, "I get it. I love you son."

"I love you too, dad." And with that, Ethan hung the phone up. 

The pair sat in silence for a moment, breaths held. From their hiding place in the bathroom of their room, it was almost eerily silent. Ethan could almost hear Seàn's breathing from where he sat on the toilet. 

As soon as the trio had walked in from dinner, Seàn went to bed and passed out. Ethan couldn't wake him up when he tried a few minutes ago- he was going to offer to let Seàn call his family while Ethan and Mark had it going.

"You said you wanted to talk with Amy?" Ethan asked, continuing to tap on the screen.

Mark looked at him, "Yeah. She'll tell whatever I ask to Mom."

Ethan nodded. He typed a couple more things into the tablet, and Amy's face came up.

"Ethan!" Amy's face lit up. She was sitting on the couch, much further from the screen than his dad was. Ethan must have tapped into her TV.

"Here's Mark," Ethan rushed, passing the tablet as he stood. Mark took his spot on the toilet seat, talking quickly with Amy. 

Ethan zoned out, looking out into the bedroom. Seàn had an arm and a leg over the edge of the bed, snoring softly. Ethan laughed a little, watching the man shift in his sleep.

There was a sharp knock on the door. Mark hesitated, looking up from the tablet. Ethan held a hand out, stepping out of the bathroom. A pair of feet stood by the door, illuminated by the hall light.

"Nestor? McLoughlin? Fishbach?" Searle called through the door.

Shit. Ethan had to think fast. He turned and shut the bathroom door with Mark still in it. He quickly ruffled his hair, rubbed his eyes, and forced a yawn. Hopefully, that would make Searle think he was sleeping. Ethan padded over to the door and opened it, fake shielding his eyes from the light. 

"Yes sir?" Ethan mumbled, yawning again.

Searle squinted, "Thought I heard talking in there."

Ethan looked into the room, searching for an excuse. Eventually, he shrugged. "Seàn talks in his sleep sometimes."

Mark laughed from the bathroom. Ethan's face paled as Searle's eyebrow rose. He stepped past Ethan and knocked on the bathroom door.

"Mark? You talking to someone in there?" Searle leaned in close to the door.

"No sir," Mark called voice warbling.

"You better have a damn good excuse as to why I heard you laughing then," Searle glared at Ethan as he padded back over to his bed.

"Uh... I'm watching porn," Mark lied. 

Searle's eyes snapped to the door, and it took all of Ethan's energy to not burst out laughing.

"Well... Wrap it up. Lights out was half an hour ago." Searle stepped away from the door, looking at Ethan. "I'll see you at formation. 5:30 sharp."

Ethan nodded, lying down on the bed, "Yes, sir."

Searle left the room and shut the door. After a minute, Mark peered out of the bathroom and then put the tablet back on its spot next to the door.

"Really dude? Porn?" Ethan asked, laughing. 

Mark approached, easily lifting himself into the bunk above Ethan. It was the first thing I thought of!"

Ethan scoffed, "It worked at least."

"True that. Good night, Ethan."

Ethan rolled over, looking at the wall. "Good night, Mark."

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Thomas stared at the people standing around him in the living room, all reading off the script he had printed. They all looked identical to Thomas- except for their clothing and various stages of makeup. 

Roman looked up at Thomas, "This looks fantastic!"

Thomas grinned, "Thanks, Ro."

He had figured out after coming home from the hospital that he could do this. He could generate anything he thought of into the air. It was useless to do any food though- nothing he made was tangible. It was perfect for recording Sanders Sides though.

The sides... they were a different story. If Thomas tried, cameras could pick them up, but no one else could see them in real life. And they talked with him in his head.

Janus wrapped his arms around Thomas' shoulders, "Sounds like you're going crazy!"

Thomas shook his head, "No, I'm not going crazy. Everyone has been dealing with weird stuff lately."

Logan didn't look up as he replied, "True. That."

"Logan, is that a little slang coming out of you?" Thomas asked, laughing a little.

Logan opened his mouth to reply when the window behind Thomas shattered. Everyone disappeared as Thomas whirled around.

A huge man stood behind him, chest heaving. Thomas' heart slammed in his chest. 

"Run!"

Thomas took off for the front door, but before he could make it past the stairs it caved in to reveal another man. Thomas pivoted, running up the stairs as fast as he could. The whole building shook behind him- he had to go!

He made it up the stairs, throwing a projection of a bear behind him. One of the men screamed, then roared as Thomas slammed his bedroom door shut behind him. 

"Thomas," a woman's voice resounded behind him.

Thomas turned around and came face to face with a lady much taller than him. He looked up, and she grinned. She cocked her fist back, and the world went black.