Chapter 4

"Do you guys have any allergies?" Raavi asked, sitting with a pen and notebook.

"I have an allergy to nuts." Gaurav said, as they all stared at the football match going on in front of them.

"Are you cooking?" Shashank asked, and when she nodded, "Then I'm allergic to everything."

"Why are you so mean to me?"

"Why are you still here?"

Raavi snapped her book shut, "Hadd hai. Haath bhi mat lagana when I finish cooking." She stomped away in anger.

"Shashank. Thoda lagaam de na apni zubaan pe. Aise kyu baat kar raha hai usse?" Shiva asked, glancing between his roommate and the TV.

"Mujhe nahi pasand woh."

"Kyu? Kya burai hai usme?"

"Kuch nahi." He grumbled, stuffing his face with peanuts.

"Toh phir? It's settled." Shiva said, turning to face the TV again, "Kyu bin waja- ABE ISKI MAA KA-" He yelled at the TV, throwing the remote on the floor. "Bhak, mujhe nahi dekhna."

The next 45 minutes went by occasional telling, swearing at the TV and angry tweeting, while Raavi was humming and cooking something in the kitchen.

She brought out the vessels and laid them on the dining table one by one, calling them to eat.

"Aaj tune khaana banaya?" Shiva raised his eyebrow.

"I don't like eating bahar ka khaana so much, lekin aaj mujhe laga ek time ke liye Mrs. Fernandes ko rest de du. Pasta and garlic bread, made by yours truly!" She took a bow dramatically.

"Don't!" She slapped Shashank's hand away, as he reached for the garlic bread. "You're allergic to anything I cook na?" Raavi asked cheekily, and gave in when he made a face.

"Aaj kuch special hai kya?" Gaurav asked, serving himself and others already.

"Haa. Mere parents ki wedding anniversary hai." Raavi said with a smile, and unknown to the other two, it struck Shiva why she was busying herself in the kitchen.

"Oh. Cheers to uncle and aunty!" Shashank raised his beer can. "Kitne saal hue hai unki shaadi ko."

"Aaj 25 saal ho jaate if they were here." She smiled wistfully, grabbing a plate and handing it over to Shiva.

"If they were here? Kaha hai?" Gaurav asked.

"Nahi hai. Woh dono apna mast maula party kar rahe honge upar, away from me." She pointed above, and everyone fell silent for a moment.

"Sorry."

"Arre why sorry?" Raavi shrugged, settling down on the bean bag, "They must be enjoying full on, akele akele. Without interruptions." She snickered.

"To your parents." The two boys raised their cans, and Shiva followed suit.

Raavi clinked her glass with theirs, and proceeded to watch the football match, just to give company because she didn't enjoy the sport all that much.

When they cleared up the vessels and Raavi stood in the kitchen, idly arranging some bottles, she felt Shiva standing behind her

Without turning around, she said, "Kuch chahiye tha, Shiva?"

"Tu theek hai?"

"Haa. Aise kyu puch raha hai?" Raavi shrugged, wiping the counter.

"Aaj tere parents ki anniversary hai." Shiva announced, clearing the counter and helping her.