Chapter 4: Her Presence

I flatter my eyes open and look around. Where am I again? I slowly sat up, adjusting my head from just waking up. The sun is just about to rise which gives the sky beautiful colors of orange and violet. A few distances from me, I saw something which made my mood brighten. She's catching something and she looks so serious doing it. Now I remember where I am. I am in this crazy adventure I agreed upon. This crazy shit which made me experience new things which I surprisingly enjoyed. I even experienced appreciating even little things that I start to ask myself, is this me?

She looked at me and waved her hand when she saw me awake. She immediately jogs her way towards me as I stand up and dust some grass off my pants.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I asked.

"That's exactly what I want to ask. You told me you'd wake me up in a few minutes but it's already morning." She said as she removed some dirt, which I think is grass, from my hair. "You had a good sleep. You were even dreaming."

I was just looking at her as she spoke and with her every move. This is the first time a person cares for me. These simple actions she does give me unexplained movement in my stomach. Come to think of it, this is also my first time in so long in which I had a good sleep. I tried taking pills before to knock me down but they did not have any effect on me.

"You were mumbling something," she continued.

"Did I say something ridiculous?" I asked which made her smile. That smile which I started to like... a lot.

"You mentioned a name," she said and started to walk. I followed.

"A name? What name?"

She looked at me over her shoulders then looked back to where she's walking to, out of the cemetery. "A name I've heard before."

My forehead creased and my eyebrows mushed. What is this woman talking about?

"Are you hungry? I know a place," she beamed, obviously changing the topic. Upon hearing the food, my stomach instantly reacted and I dismissed the thought of what name might I have mentioned in my sleep.

A lot of people were shouting as they tried to lure customers. We are at a market and the smell of a variety of food makes my stomach growl more. There are a lot of stalls to choose from, from snacks to rice meals to desserts. I saw a stall selling tonkatsu and my mouth watered upon seeing the steaming food. I was about to make my way to that stall when she pulled me by my wrist and went inside a ramen stall.

"We could have just eaten at a convenience store," I said in disappointment.

"The ramen here is so good. They also give a bowl of spicy rice cake for free if we order two ramen," she said in excitement.

"Cheapskate," I mumbled which she heard but she just grinned at me. A person came to get our order and she enthusiastically gave it to him. After giving our order, she starts to wander her eyes like she's looking for something.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I copied her actions. "Do you want to go to the washroom?"

"No," she simply answered.

"I told you to wipe the floor in the kitchen." A middle-aged woman shouted who I think is the owner of this stall.

"There she is," she whispered with a smile and when I looked at her, she was staring at the middle-aged woman. I looked at the owner of the stall then looked back at her again.

"Do you know her?" I asked. She did not answer and just continued staring at the lady at the counter. She propped her elbow on the table and rested her chin on her palm with her eyes still glued at the lady.

Our order was placed at the table and true enough, there was a free bowl of spicy rice cake with it. Before the guy who served us left after placing our order, she stopped him by his wrist and glared at him.

"Always obey her or I'll come hunting you," she threatened the guy.

"You know how grumpy that old woman is!" The guy whined, slightly pouting his lips.

"Just do what she says," she emphasized, then smiled again. "Thank you for the free spicy rice cake."

The guy just smiled at her as well then went back to working inside the kitchen. My jaw dropped from their actions. What is wrong with these two?

"I know what you're thinking. Just eat," she said as she placed chopsticks in front of me. She even stirred my ramen and poured a bit of seasoning on it. She does it like I'm a little kid who needs attention. Maybe if it is some other guy, I will be pissed off but I didn't. A guy like me who was not able to feel any love for his whole life enjoys attention like this.

"Is there something on my face?" She asked and that is when I realized I've been staring at her.

"Nothing." I grabbed the chopsticks and started gobbling the flavorful noodles. I feel like I'm being choked with what I'm feeling right now. I feel irritated because I feel happy with these simple gestures. I feel pissed off thinking why I did not experience these before. And I feel happy thinking that someone cares for me.

"Are you okay?" She asked and I felt her hand touch my cheek. I looked up at her and she gave me a worried look. I blinked twice and felt something hot on my cheek. I immediately wiped it with my hand. Am I crying?

"The steam of the soup irritates my eyes," I chuckled and sniffed. God, this is embarrassing! I continued eating and seconds later I felt her presence near me. She's now sitting beside me. I looked at her and she gave me that sweet smile again and for the first time in seems like forever, I smiled back.