Chapter 9: Way Back into Love

Waiting for her to open her eyes is like waiting for the first snow to drop. Exciting and frustrating at the same time. The doctor, her doctor Dr. Kim, told him that she'll be awake soon and he cannot wait to see her smile again. He cannot wait to tell her that he remembers, and that he's sorry it took him so long before he recognizes her.

I reached for her hand and clasped it with mine. Her hand made a movement and my head immediately turned to her face, waiting for her to wake up as her forehead creases and her eyes slowly fluttered open.

"Hey," I've never heard my voice as gentle as this.

"Hey," she answered back with a small smile on her lips.

"I'll call the nurse." I let go of her hand and was about to stand when she grabbed my wrist and stared at me with her moisty eyes. She did not say anything. She just kept staring at me and I know what she wanted to say or to ask.

Once again, I reached for her hand and laced them with mine. I gently kissed her knuckles, letting my lips stay on her skin for a while before looking at her.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked in a hush tone of voice.

"I was scared," she replied and a tear flow on her cheek. "I was scared you won't believe me."

My heart sunk hearing how fragile she sounded with that sentence. "I'm sorry," I bowed my head as tears continuously flow down my cheeks, my shoulders shake from sobbing. "I'm sorry I was not able to recognize you right away."

I leaned my forehead on our hands as my uncontrollable sobs filled the room. I am so stupid for not recognizing the only girl I cherish in my life even though she had tried to show me herself multiple times. I should not blame my messy life and there is no excuse for what I did to her. I'm a loser.

Trying to control my sobs, I felt her hand on my head, sliding her fingers around my hair and it gives me that calming feeling. A feeling of love from someone I treasure the most. A feeling of home.

Slowly, I looked up at her and saw her warm smile and it sends this unexplainable feeling in my heart. It feels like it is about to explode.

"I won't leave you again. I promise you that I will fill all the years I missed," I said almost like a whisper.

A wider smile broke her lips as she reached for my face and cupped my cheek, wiping my tears with her thumb. "I'll hold on to that promise."

-----------------------------------

"Stay right here. I'll be back very quick!" I told Sandy as I run up to my apartment in panic.

The doctor tried to persuade her to stay in the hospital given her condition but Dindy insisted that she feels more sick staying there. So I offered that she stay in my place for me to monitor her condition which she immediately accepted. Being overwhelmed that I can spend more time with her, I totally forgot that my apartment is a total mess.