13, A Definitive No

Chapter 13,
A Definitive No

Chapter 13,A Definitive No

Overbearing EgosOctober, 2021

Overbearing Egos
October, 2021

   ONE DAY till homecoming, and Maddy spends her afternoon sitting on the bleachers, watching Beck, Foosh, Blake and their team have the last practice before their first game.

   She has a book in her lap, but if she's going to be honest, she's not paying attention to any of the text spread over the pages of the fantasy book she recently got her hands on. It's Crescent City by Sarah J. Maas, and Maddy's been planning to read the book for a while now, she just never got herself to buy it, because of how long it is. It was so much easier to pick up shorter books.

   Instead of reading, she watches the football team practice. They're split into two teams, having a practice match. Foosh's team against Beck's for which they each chose their own players. QB1 against QB2.

   Maddy doesn't know anything about football. Not really. She just knows they throw around a ball and that the teams have to get them to the other sides of the field. But she realizes that Foosh's team is winning, judged by the delighted reactions after they score. Again.

   She watches the boys run around, her eyes focusing on Beck and his team; he picked Blake to be with him. They're still trying to make a comeback, Beck calling the shots. Which is basically how Maddy ends up jumping up and cheering for Blake and her brother after they score, attracting the attention of everyone around the football field.

   Making a face and turning red, she slumps her shoulders and falls back into her seat almost instantly. When she glances at Beck, he has a smug grin on his lips, while Blake smiles at her in genuine but delighted surprise, shaking his head.

   Foosh clenches his jaw, glancing between them. Maddy dons an apologetic expression, knowing he's still upset that she's going to the homecoming dance with Blake instead of him. She remembers the look of betrayal on his face, when she told him. But, in her defense, he should have known better than to lie about dating her.