Chapter 5

*** Thank you so, so much @elysian-exe for the beautiful cover!!!!

Chapter 5 – The Kids

Damon

What was he thinking?

In bed, all he could do was lie on his back, his hand supporting his head, stare at the ceiling and reflect on his behavior.

It was as if his common sense had left his brain the second he'd found himself so close to her. She had practically run away from him, and he understood why. When he'd stepped into their corridor, her door on the right was shut.

He didn't even touch her, and yet he couldn't stop thinking about it. Still, having thoughts like this would get him nowhere. It wasn't only that she hated his guts, she was his co-leader now. Off limits.

And nothing was worth risking everything he had worked for. He could be professional, he could let that little distraction slip. What was so special about her, anyway? Just another lost soul inside this vicious organization – damn right the usual.

Emry

Tying up her hair, Emry took a deep breath as she made sure everything was prepared for the long day ahead of her.

What happened last night... stayed last night. Now, it was a new day.

Besides, after she had thought about it over and over again instead of falling asleep, she came to realize that Damon's behavior was probably just typical of him. He was a player, right? He'd spotted her and decided to play. That's what it was, and nothing else. That was just a game, a flirt. It was stupid of her to worry.

Still, some part of her couldn't get over the softness in his eyes as he looked at her.

She walked out of the tiny washroom she and him shared in the middle of the corridor, opened the door of the corridor and stepped out. He was already there, waiting for her.

Something in the atmosphere felt different. She walked to him, and he silently handed her a black belt with five different kinds of knives.

His eyes and posture were rigid as he looked down at her. Gone were the games. Now it was real. They were going to meet their new team, as leaders.

They walked down the stairs, until they reached Headley. His tired blue eyes acknowledged them as he gestured for them to walk with him to one of the gates.

When they arrived and stepped out of the gate into the sands outside, they stopped and waited, Damon on Headley's left, Emry on his right. After a short while, they saw a bus park in front of them, raising a wave of dust.

A bunch of adolescents with trunks, some of them so big that they were almost their size, made it outside.

They stood in line, next to each other. Some of them looked very tired from the long trip, and some looked better.

Riggs stood out with his dark, ebony skin and broad shoulders. He was tall, with black hair, black eyes and square face. He was only seventeen, but if Emry didn't know better, she would have thought he was even older than her.

Kalen had broad shoulders as well, but not as broad as Riggs'. His blond hair was caught in his blue eyes, and he struggled to push it back. His sweet face was twisted in a baffled expression. Next to his teammate, he looked tinier than he really was.

The last male, the youngest male, was Ahron. Unlike the others, he was as gaunt as a stick of a broom, and pale like the moon. His dark hair was very short on top of his head, his dark eyes a little terrified behind his glasses.