Chapter 16

Chapter 16 – Blood Crime

Emry

Later that night, much after Damon and Emry made sure the kids went to sleep, Emry discovered, together with Ian and Glen, that they both earned their places in the army. They were thrilled, and for a moment, she felt beyond happy. She felt so relieved, that even though she was exhausted by the time she was climbing back the stairs in the Slayers building, she was still glad that she'd stayed up with them to find out together. Their triad stayed intact.

When she reached the corridor, she could hear Damon pacing in his room, but his door was closed. What was he doing? It was so late. He probably just returned from another wild night at the club. For a moment, she wondered if there could be any other reason to keep him awake at night.

The next morning, he stopped her in the corridor before they went to the hall to wake up the kids. "Listen, are you open to do something different with them today?"

She leaned back against the cold, gray corridor wall. He leaned against the wall before her, but it was still too close for her comfort. "What do you have in mind?"

"I was thinking about taking them to the Black Forest."

She sighed. "Damon –"

"We will not take them far, just enough so they would be familiar with our surroundings," He said quietly. "I don't know when Headley is going to inform us about the things I told you about. I want to make a few steps in advance to get them ready for whatever might be."

It actually made sense. "Alright..." She frowned. "But seriously, we're not taking them too far."

"We'll both be with them. If demons attack us, it might actually turn out to be a teaching moment." He grinned.

She thought about it for a moment. "Alright."

"It's good we're taking them now before it gets cold," He added when she opened the door to the hall. Then, he winked at her before he shouted – "Rise and shine, you elite rats! It's a brand new day."

Damon

They gave the kids a full, fifteen minutes to get ready, just because they were heading out of the base. They were cheerful as they marched on the brown, hard ground, surrounded by green trees and bushes.

"You see that crooked tree?" Emry, who was walking behind them, pointed at one of the trees, a bent one which was covered in green moss. "You can use it as a focal point – if you walk this way," she pointed at one of the yellow trails. "You'd reach Ob. If you'd choose this way," she turned and pointed at another trail. "You'd reach the conjunction between the Black Forest and the White Forest."

"Tiger, why are you behind?" Asked Kalen.

"I'm the rearguard," Emry answered him.

Damon felt his lips twitch as he called - "I think we all know it's an excuse to check out my rear!"

Their soldiers burst out in laughter, and he could see the scowl on her face. "Damon!"

"In a month or so, Emry and I will let you take a run outside if you want," He changed the subject, but he winked at her. "You shouldn't walk to the White Forest, though. You're not ready for that kind of place."

"What's in the White Forest?" Asked Lucy.

Damon ruffled her red hair. "Why so eager, huh?"

Emry exhaled back behind them. "Demons, and lots of them. Mostly Golubaya. Five years ago, it was busted with Belaya, hence the name."