Chapter 17

Chapter 17 – Festive

Emry

Ever since the incident at the Black Forest, Damon had been acting differently. He wasn't showing it – he was still playful, witty, dazzling people with his smiles and everything – but she could feel something was off by the way he was looking at her, even the day after.

She could still see the dead bodies in her mind, but it didn't rattle her. She was better than that.

When she was younger, it was dreadful, but so was her whole existence. Yes, she was afraid of people, but inside the gates, all she had to be afraid of was her teammates. Inside the gates, she didn't have to worry about being stabbed by bloodthirsty locals. And yet, her teammates were vicious enough, and that was part of the reason why she'd always had to be the best in everything. Survival always came first.

Now, as she was a skilled soldier, she was not afraid anymore. Not from demons, not from soldiers, not from people, not from anything.

What had happened to those men was what people did to Tigers when they let their guards down.

Hers was always up.

Maybe Damon was never really exposed to blood crimes, or had never really known Tigers and their struggles, and that's why it shook him. But she was far beyond that, and worrying about shit wouldn't get her anywhere.

Same as wearing this stupid, borrowed dress that she was struggling with. She had received a note at breakfast with the color black, while Damon got white, which meant that her dress would have to be black and his suit would have to be white.

They were both set on wearing their clothes, taking the kids to the gate, and then hurrying to the ball at the dining room. The sun was going down, painting the sky outside her room with hues of red and gold. It was beautiful, and somehow, despite her own nature, she felt something festive, unusual, in the air.

Her heart beat fast as she thought of Damon in the nearest room, getting ready as well. What would his tan skin look like against a white fabric? Could he even manage a suit? He was so big.

How would he react to seeing her? She hated herself for thinking about it, and despite herself, she wished she had a mirror. It was silly, she never cared about her looks before. But now, she desperately wished for one, as she played with the black fabric of her dress. She could feel the dress tight against her chest, then flowing down her legs, ending above her knees. It had been long since she wore something fancy like that dress. She always wore fatigues, sometimes even at night, when it was past eight and she didn't have to.

She took a deep breath. Some part of her wanted to get out of the room, but the other wanted to stay there and hide.

It didn't matter which part was the loudest, because at the end, she would have to get out. So that's what she did.

Damon was not in his room, because he was actually talking to the kids in the hall, with his back to her. He was excited about something, but when the kids fell silent and stared at her, he stopped talking and turned around.

His golden eyes widened. Then, they slowly caressed her, up and down, and then again.

She knew she was blushing. Hated herself for it.

The white suit that he was wearing fit his muscular body, his wide shoulders and his broad back. He was looking dangerous as always, but the formality of all this made him seem deadly, like a fallen angel – an angel of sabotage. Someone who would smile at you and then offer you a glass of poisoned wine.