Chapter 7

Hey guys, 

Just wanted to say thank you for reading :) 

I hope you'll like this chapter. 

**** Thank you so, so much @elysian-exe for the beautiful cover!!!!

Chapter 7 – Night Snack

Emry

Tossing and turning in bed, as always, felt like a nightmare. Not because it was terrifying, but because it was a waste of time. Emry always felt like she had a disability that separated her from everybody else. She just couldn't sleep. She couldn't remember how well she had used to sleep before she had enlisted, but she was quite positive that at least ever since after, her sleep was short, light and very hard to reach. Sleeping for less than five hours a night was taking a toll on her, but there was nothing she could do about it.

She rose up to sit, and stared at the wall inside the little dark room. Her stomach growled. Of course, she hadn't eaten anything since her sandwich at lunch. She'd had too many things to organize so she'd missed dinner, letting Damon take the kids to the dining room without her. Sighing, she pushed the blanket aside and rose to her feet.

She opened the old, cracking door a little. Damon's one, the one right across from hers, was closed with no noise coming from it. He was probably sleeping like every damn other person at two A.M.

She opened the second door which was separating their section from the hall, where the kids slept, and walked across, trying to make as little noise as possible. Everyone was asleep. Good.

She opened the door and walked into the rest of the floor. She continued until she reached the small, common kitchen that was provided by the army for the soldiers. It had a refrigerator, so if a soldier bought some food and wanted to keep it, he or she could. Usually, everybody did. No one wanted to be bound to the dining room. It also had cupboards , chairs, and a table.

She opened the door and walked inside. The little kitchen was empty, thank god. She didn't like to unfold her little bag of supplies when people were around. It was humiliating, how little it contained.

She opened one of the cupboards, took out the bag that belonged to her, and opened it on the table. She felt miserable as she looked at what was left of her supplies. She hadn't bought food for so long, and now she was left with nearly nothing.

"Doesn't seem like much."

She jumped, startled. She turned around and stared at Damon, who was standing at the entrance, watching her.

Shame. That was all she could feel, in every cell of her body. She clenched her fists tightly. It was coursing through her, burning her cheeks. She wished the ground could open up and swallow her whole. She wished she could throw some insults in return, but she couldn't think of anything to say.

Wasn't he sleeping?

He already went past her. He opened one of the cupboards, took out his own bag, opened the fridge and started making his food.

She hated feeling like this. That was precisely the reason why she didn't like being in the kitchen with other people. She hated it when they saw that she had nothing. And around him... it felt even worse. He probably already thought that he was better than her.

Whatever. She had to get it together. She would try to steal some food tomorrow from breakfast and sneak it to the Slayers building. It was forbidden, but she had done it a couple of times before. She could do it again. She took a deep breath, closed her bag and placed it back where it was. When she turned to leave, she heard his voice, "wait."