Eyeshadow

Pronouns: Not used

Relationship status: Dating

Idea is not mine

You were in the kitchen of the casita, watching Julieta work. It was a fascinating process—the way her hands moved rapid fire to make arepa after arepa.

You were waiting for your boyfriend, Camilo, to come out of his room so the two of you could go on a date in the town. He'd seemed pretty excited about it, which might be why he was taking so long to get ready.

After fifteen minutes, though, you sighed. "Dolores?"

Dolores appeared next to you so quickly that you shrieked and fell off your stood. She ignored this. "Yes?"

"Is something up with Camilo?" you asked her. "I'm getting a little worried."

Dolores pressed her lips together. "Um...he doesn't want you to know." She pressed her lips together nervously and scurried away.

With a frown, you looked up at Camilo's glowing door. "Julieta? I'll be right back." You got up and walked up the stairs to the upper railing. The casita didn't stop you, so you knew this couldn't end badly.

You knocked on the vibrant orange door, pushing it open. "Camilo?"

You saw your boyfriend sitting in front of one of his many mirrors, but he jumped when you opened the door, shifting from multiple townspeople back to himself. "Y/n! What are you—" He covered his face with his hands. "Hi."

"What's up, mi vida?" you asked, coming to sit next to him, trying to mask your concern. If Dolores hid this, it couldn't be that bad, but you were still worried. Camilo still wouldn't look at you, hands cupping his eyes, shoulders tense. "Camilo?"

He sighed. "Promise you won't make fun of me?"

"Of course not!" you told him. "Well, it depends, but..." You shook your head—now was not the time for jokes when he was clearly stressed. "No, I promise I won't make fun of you. What happened?"

He finally looked up, revealing sloppily applied brown eyeshadow and mascara. "You promised." His voice shook a little in his nerves.

You smiled. "Well, it needs a little work, but..." You noticed a bag of makeup remover wipes next to him on the floor and grabbed one. "Can I help?"

He nodded, watching you with a stressed look on his face.

You began to gently wipe away the mess around his eyes. "Were you going for a natural look?"

He shrugged, averting his eyes. "I wanted to look like I wasn't wearing it, if that's what you mean."

"Mhm." You kept working, cupping his face to hold it in place, until you made it look less messy. "There. A natural eyeshadow look."

He glanced in the mirror next to him and smiled in wonder. "How...?"

"I know a thing or two about makeup, amor," you answered with a self-satisfied grin. "And you look great."

He stared at his reflection in awe for a moment before turning back to you excitedly. "Can you make it look shimmery?"

"It won't make it look natural," you reminded him, smiling at how happy he was.

"I don't care!" he exclaimed. "I didn't know it would look this good!"

You giggled, grabbing his eyeshadow palate. "Where'd you get this, anyway?" you asked, beginning to apply the shimmer.

"Nicked it from Isabela's room," he said with a smirk. "I don't think she knows yet."

You hid your laughter, turning all focus to making your boyfriend look amazing. He did that by himself, but still.

"Are you done yet?" he asked, wiggling a little.

You put a hand on his curly head to stop him. "No, but I'm almost done. Be patient."

He pouted. "Can I see the progress?" He began to turn his head, but you grabbed it and turned it back.

"No! You get to see when it's done," you hissed, holding his head like the 'idiot sandwich meme'—something Bruno had said would be a funny thing in the future.

He responded by kissing you.

You kissed him back, but then pushed him away by the chest. "You can't win by distracting me, Cam. I have a job to finish."

He groaned. "I'm truly powerless!"

You quickly kissed his nose. "Yeah. Now shut up and let me work my magic."

He offered a crooked smile. "Thanks for not making fun of me," he said softly.

"Why would I?" you asked, putting the makeup brush away. "I love you."

"I love you, too," he said. Then he looked in the mirror. "Queso santo, I look great!"

"Yeah, you do," you said, pulling him into a hug. His smile was so wide, it took up half of his face.

He snuggled into you. "Thanks, mi sol."

You kissed the top of his head, running a hand through his curly hair. "No problem." You met his eyes through the mirror. "You want to go out and show everyone your new look?"

He grinned wickedly. "Hell yeah—Isabela will be able to see how much better I look than her."

You snickered, helping him up. "Sure, Camilo. Sure."