Opposites

Pronouns: They/them

Relationship status: Nuisance

V e r y rushed ending ahead

You weren't enemies, exactly. You definitely weren't friends. But Camilo Madrigal was quite possibly the most irritating person in your life.

He never took anything seriously, he never worked for the luxury he received, and he always invaded your personal space, completely ignoring your obvious annoyance every time.

Take today, for example. He sauntered over to you while you were clearly working and slung an arm around your shoulder. "Whatcha doing?"

You huffed, shrugging away from him. "I'm busy. Get lost."

"Rude." Camilo pouted, blinking at you innocently. "I was being nice."

"No you weren't," you deadpanned. "I'm trying to focus here."

"You can still do that!" he said, sitting cross-legged in front of you. "I'll just sit here."

You arched an eyebrow. "Are you sure you can do that without talking?"

He nodded. "Mhm!"

You watched him suspiciously for a moment, but eventually gave up and turned your attention back to your work.

He was quiet for an entirety of fifteen seconds before saying, "Why are you always working? Shouldn't you take the time to relax?"

Grunting in irritation, you kept your eyes on your papers. "Why don't you ever work? Shouldn't you take the time to put effort into things, instead of waiting for someone to hand it to you?"

"Hey, I work!" he said crossly. "What do you call babysitting children every day?"

"You don't do it every day, Camilo," you reminded him. "Most days, you stay home all day and do nothing."

"That's the life," he said dreamily, staring off into space—probably imagining being at home in bed again.

You scoffed. "Whatever." You turned away, but this time you couldn't make yourself focus. Damn that shapeshifter—he'd distracted you! You looked up to scowl at him (and maybe scold him), but he'd already disappeared.

Muttering some unkind things under your breath, you pushed away from your papers and slammed your head on the table.

Sometimes you really hated that boy. But you didn't have many friends, so he was the best thing you could get for company.

-

The next day, you were walking quickly through the street, trying to get back home as fast as you could. You might have given Camilo crap for it yesterday, but you loved being home. It gave you a moment to get away from people and recharge your social batteries.

About halfway there, you noticed Camilo playing with a group of kids about his age, tossing a ball back and forth. He was cheating, of course—using his gift to transform into taller or shorter people to win. His friends took it well, laughing it off and trying to toss the ball higher than most people could reach.

Curious as to who would drop the ball, you edged over to watch.

"Camilo, quit using your gift!" A girl with a ponytail exclaimed, trying to aim the ball.

"Too bad, Inés!" Camilo answered joyfully. "You signed up for this when you became friends with me!"

"Screw you!" Inés yelled playfully as she chucked the ball towards him. She noticed you watching and waved. "Hey! You wanna join?"