Just Friends

Pronouns: They/them

Relationship status: Friends

Prepare for a Miraculous reference, and I apologize for the steaming hot garbage you're about to read

Who was more oblivious to their feelings? Adrien Agreste, you, or Camilo?

Because at the rate you were going, having been friends since childhood but not realizing you were in love with each other, you could beat Adrien by a long shot.

Mirabel could see right through your dancing around each other and subtle flirting, and she decided to put a stop to it.

She walked up to you one day as you were reading a book under a tree, and said, "You know who's cool? Camilo."

You smiled. "Yeah, I know, but why are you telling me that?"

"You think he's cool, then?" Mirabel pressed. "What do you really think of him?"

You blinked in confusion. "He's my friend—"

"Gah!" Mirabel exclaimed. "Stay right there!" With that, she flounced away, leaving you bewildered.

Mirabel

Mirabel ran up to the casita, apologizing as she nearly ran into her mother, and approached the kitchen.

"Camilo!"

Camilo, in the form of Julieta, paused in the act of stealing some pastries with a surprised look on his face. "How'd you know it was me?" he asked as he transformed back into himself.

"I ran into Mami on the way here, genius," Mirabel snarked, and Camilo grimaced.

"What do you want?"

"I like Y/n," Mirabel lied matter-of-factly.

Camilo choked, turning into Y/n with wide eyes. "You do?" He shook himself and popped back into his original form, but his undisguised look of horror stayed the same.

"Yep," Mirabel said cheerfully. "I want to ask them out, but I don't know how to do it. Any ideas? You're their best friend." She put emphasis on the last two words. "You'd know what they like."

"You know, it's probably not a good idea to do that," Camilo said nervously, running a hand through his hair.

"Why not?" Mirabel asked innocently, blinking her eyes.

Camilo looked around the room, as if hoping to find a believable excuse hiding in the walls. Finally, he stammered, "I—It just isn't! You don't even know if they like you back! Plenty of things could go wrong!"

"Why does it bother you so much?" Mirabel asked, struggling not to grin maliciously.

"I don't know!" Camilo squeaked. "It's just that they're my best friend, and it'd be weird, since you're my cousin!"

Mirabel tilted her head. "Oh. Well, if that's all..." She turned and skipped out of the casita, Camilo watching her with creased eyebrows.

Camilo

"She's gonna ask them out," Camilo murmured under his breath. "And they're gonna say yes. Which is fine. It doesn't bother me. They're just a friend to me. That's all they are. I'm fine with it."

He heard a little scoff and turned as Dolores walked past him. Her nose wrinkled the way it did whenever she heard something she didn't like.

"I am!" he yelled as Dolores disappeared around a corner. "I am," he muttered to himself. "It doesn't bother me that Y/n might date Mirabel."

He tugged on his hair. It did bother him, but why? He only saw them as a friend...his best friend...

He froze. Oh. Oh, no.

Glancing up, he saw Mirabel through the large, open doors of the casita as she disappeared over a hill—towards the spot Y/n usually hung out at.

He didn't waste a second, immediately taking off towards her. "Mirabel! Wait a second!"

When he finally caught up to her—having tripped several times on the way—he was completely winded. "Mirabel—" he gasped, doubling over.

Mirabel stared at him with a raised eyebrow. "What?"

Camilo paused, trying to catch his breath. "You can't as Y/n out, because I love them! I have for a really long time, and I just now realized, so if you didn't act on your feelings, I'd appreciate it!" he panted.

Mirabel's face split into a wide grin, which wasn't the reaction Camilo had been expecting. He realized why, though, when Mirabel glanced over at Y/n sitting a few feet away, staring at him like they'd seen a ghost.

Camilo probably looked like a deer in headlights right then. He straightened up so quickly, he heard one of his bones pop, but couldn't find the words that would make Y/n forget everything they just heard.

Mirabel stepped back, dusting her hands off with a smirk, and watched as Y/n stood up, ran at Camilo, and threw their arms around him.

Camilo staggered backward a little, trying not to panic, but all thoughts evaporated when they kissed him full on the mouth. Mirabel was whooping, but Camilo barely heard her.

They pulled away, looking as surprised as he felt. "Never thought I'd do that," they said sheepishly.

"Me neither," Camilo answered in a small voice, one hundred percent sure he was blushing. His hands were on their waist—how did they get there? "So, um..."

"I love you too," they said, grinning awkwardly. "I just realized that, too."

Camilo gulped. "Cool!" He smiled, too, tilting his head. "I didn't expect this to be so easy."

"Me neither!" they exclaimed. "Who'd have thought?"

Mirabel's voice came from beside them. "I did!"

Y/n rolled their eyes—which Camilo realized were very pretty. He'd never been close enough to them to see that. "Can it, Mira."

"Yeah," Camilo agreed, and Mirabel huffed.

"You're welcome!" she grumbled. "So, when's the wedding?"

Y/n leaned closer to Camilo, who caught his breath. "Do you think she'll go away if we keep kissing?"

"Only one way to find out—" Camilo said, and he barely finished his sentence before they connected again.

"Guys?" Mirabel asked. "Can I at least get a thank you? Guys?"