The Night Changes

Song dedicated :

https://youtu.be/ZL1Y7B8mMeY

Nishant

Pratik did exactly what he said he would do. He worked like a madman! One project after another, I couldn't believe he didn't want to take some time off. I had BB's voice ringing in my head for days, I had trouble at night sleeping without seeing him beside me on his own bed. He texted me sometimes, he would text me a simple "goodnight" too sometimes but it wasn't enough. I was on the edge always. I never seemed to relax. Whenever he called, I talked loudly, I got too excited and I was just not okay. I met my best friends, my family, went on a goddamned vacation in Goa but I was still on the edge.

I avoided drinking, the last time I did it I was practically confessing to Pratik that I was into him but of course Pratik was just dense enough to brush it off. His reaction pissed me off so much that I was too loud, stand-offish at Shamita's party and drank like it was nobody's business. Pratik didn't leave me alone for a second though, I really thought he would avoid me because of what happened last time instead he dropped me off in his own car even though Akasa was there with him.
Whatever the f*ck was Akasa doing with him nowadays... I didn't ask. His relationships with women are more messed up than whatever was happening with me and him. This was partly the reason why I tried pulling away from him, he was way too complicated but I tried pulling away too late, I was in too deep. There was no scope for escaping at that point.

Pratik seemed alright to me, more in control than ever, he was working hard, he was taking care of his relationships with his family and friends, he was in touch with me, Shamita, his family friends... He was just doing everything right and here I was... A big mess without him. I couldn't even hide it. He lectured me about drinking and I listened to him like a baby getting scolded. I promised to control my drinking.

My thoughts were interrupted with my phone ringing and I picked it up without checking the name,

"Nishant." Pratik's heavy voice was clear. I woke from my half slumber.

It was freaking 2 in the morning.

"Kya hua?" I was obviously worried.

"I'm tired." His voice sounded heavier than usual.

"Toh so jaa" It was a stupid thing to say but I didn't know what else to say. I didn't want him to sleep without talking to me.

"Tu kaha hai?" He asked ignoring what I suggested a moment ago, I was thankful.

"Ghar par." I said.

"Hmmm... Nishant tu kaha hai?" Why is he repeating his question. I think he did hear me the first time.

"Tu tired hai shayad kaam se ab sojaa." I am so stupid, why do I keep suggesting this when I want to talk to him! He has called after so long, I haven't heard his voice for so long but I guess I can't be selfish with this stupid man since I care about his health.

"Kyu tujhe mujhse baat nahi karni saale? Tu konsa sota hai iss time pe, f*ck you!" He said in his calm as hell voice. Was he pissed? He didn't sound pissed but somehow... hurt?

"Zyada bakwas nahi kar raha hai tu? Itne time baad you call me but you are sleep deprived when you do." I said.

"I am always sleep deprived, Nishant." He said and I choked. A moment of silence passed, I could just hear him breathing.