Promise

Nishant

"What the f**k!" Pratik hit the brake a little too hard when he pulled into a parking spot, inertia jerking me against my seatbelt. "How could you casually just tell me that I am about to meet my mother and talk about our relationship? WHEN DID THIS EVEN HAPPEN? WAIT..." He mumbled something that sounded a lot like a thousand curses then proceeded to talk sensible things, "How is this happening right now?"

"Well, your mother specifically requested that I don't tell you and we meet her out of the blue but I did want to warn you a little so I told you that we are meeting my dad." I half smiled, rubbed his back. He had his head placed on the steering wheel.

"Sweet heart, my love, my loveliest boyfriend-"

Awe.

"Tereko yaha se kick krke aisa fekuga main SAALE!" Pratik almost screamed.

There it is, now he sounds normal.

"Chup kar itna mat kar Pratik, main khud panic mode mein gaya na we will f*ck this up massively. Mujhko sane rehne de mere pe hi hoge saare questions tujhko kya hai chup chap baitha rahio." I said trying to keep my head clear. Without another word, I got out of the car and so did he but muttering a thousand curses. "Taking all my negativity out before we go in." He said and I rolled my eyes.

I actually expected a little bit hostility from my parents but they laughed at me. Yes, they did and they were shocked that I thought they didn't already know I was bisexual. Pratik told his mother when I was still in KKK and he got eliminated. I knew something was off when he sounded low over the phone, posted sad songs, I even asked him about his mother's reaction and he said it was okay. Well, fast forward to now when he is on the verge of sprinting away from this situation and I am dragging him inside.

"Aao baccho!" Pratik's mother greeted us normally, we hugged each other.

She seems chill.

Or is this the calm before the storm?

We both awkwardly sat next to each other on the sofa and his mom sat on the other sofa next to us. Pratik immediately took hold of my hand, I slapped it away.
He narrowed his eyes at me, I shook my head, I took my eyes off Pratik to look back at Aunty and she was looking at very intently.

I sighed. Aunty got up to get water probably and Pratik elbowed me when I should have elbowed the a**hole.

He put his arm around me and gave me a fake smile, “Arey thoda couple jaisa lagega na!" He whispered. I whispered too, "Nahi FAKE laggega, be normal!" I extracted myself from his arms. "Kya hai tereko sharm kyu aarahi unko lagega we are not seriously a couple!" Pratik said almost NOT whispering. "Yeh mazak mein parents ko kon bolta hai hum bisexual hai? KYA BOL RAHA HAI!" I punched his stomach lightly. He punched me back.

I heard his mother cough and put the glasses of water down on the table with a light noise of glasses clanking next to each other on the tray. I pushed Pratik away and smiled at Aunty. She was brimming with nonchalance...

"Pratik ne bataya mereko kab hua yeh sab and puri story but Nishant beta yeh batao kaise pata chala friendship nahi relationship hona chahiye tum dono ke beech?"  She said and I was taken aback immediately. She really cut to the chase, I guess Pratik gets that from her. Before I could say anything Pratik interrupted, "Kya yaar Mummy I told you-" She stopped him, "Teri girlfriend ho ya boyfriend ho doesn't matter, you both were very close friends suddenly this shift I need to know. Ab chup tumse nahi pucha hai maine." Her eyes shifted to me knowing Pratik would talk back to her now.

"Mereko humesha se shayad crush tha ispe but I thought he isn't like me... I mean woh bisexual ya gay definitely nahi hoga toh I was happy being a friend until-"

"He confessed." Aunty interrupted and I nodded.

"If it doesn't work out, Nishant I must know beta will you both--Will you still want to be friends with him?" She asked with a certain nervousness in her eyes and again I was shocked. These were not the kind of questions I thought I was going to get asked. Why was she nervous about my answer?

"I-I never... I will be. We both-" I took a quick glance at Pratik and he nodded so I continued, "We both came to the conclusion that we both are permanent, it doesn't matter if we are together or not, we can't lose each other." I could feel a sense of strong belief inside me when I said this to his mother. She smiled but nervousness was still evident in her wary eyes.

"Years and years of marriage yet people decide to end things. I believe marriage and relationships are something which can be broken at any time in life but what is most important is that we preserve the friendship out of it. Cutting someone completely is toxic, especially for someone like Pratik and as much as I have known you Nishant I feel for you too but you both are very... Intense..." She sighed and I could see her struggle to pick her words next. Where did she get the idea we were intense? Isn't Pratik a little intense with everyone?

"This kind of love leads to extremities, when such a love bond breaks it is hard to be friends. Are you sure you could be his friend again?" She said and I heard Pratik mutter something under his breath, His hand began to pound out a rhythm against his knee. He refused to look at her or me.

"I am sure. Issey pucho na?" I said this to lighten the mood.

"Oh, I have asked him everything I needed to ask. Believe me, he gave me ridiculous answers." She made a face at him but Pratik wasn't looking.

"Realistic hoon main but aap bohat hi kuch alag level pe soch rahe ho, I don't agree with it, you don't agree with me so now you want my boyfriend to agree with you so I'll just say nothing." He said and leaned back against the sofa. He didn't look mad but worried.

"I do believe you, if it is about what we were just talking about?" I was truly unsure. Why wouldn't Pratik agree with her? She put her hand over mine. "Can you promise me Nishant? This friendship  is permanent no matter what." I reassured her, "I promise."

"We really need to go mumma." Pratik said looking over at his phone.
"Now, that we are over with this, Nishant please visit me alone one day since Pratik said you both have work commitments today so you can't stay for long." She said and finally smiled at me.
WHY DID HE LIE THOUGH? WHY DO I HAVE TO SEE HER ALONE? I was panicking but I smiled. I was dying inside but I ate the sweets she offered. I was going berserk inside my head but I calmly walked out of the door and quietly sat inside the car. Suddenly I felt Pratik's arm around my neck pulling me towards him and his lips were on mine. Blood rushed into my face and up my neck. His warm hands caressing the same spot on the neck, hell, I felt I just got cleansed and here he is making me... Making us forget all of it. He gently tilted my head, never pulling away his lips from mine as he deepened the kiss. It was as if wanted us to remember who we are...

He pulled away, his eyes were teary, "This is who we are, intense and passionate, it is not something to be worried about. Okay?" He looked into my eyes searching for something I wasn't sure of myself.

"Tu mujhe kab explainations dene wala hai?" I asked.

"After you finish up the one on one conversation with my mother... I promise Nishant main sab sort kar duga. Abhi I need to see someone and I'll drop you at your place abhi bhi tere shoot mein time hai..." He was a little distracted. "You could see this person after an hour too, right?" I smiled suggestively. "Oh hell yes!" He finally smiled back at me.