Chapter Four

Quentin barely got his seatbelt in place before Carlos began moving the car. Carlos looked straight ahead, not even sparing him a glance. What was this guy's deal? He must mean something to Billie if he jumps the moment she calls to fulfill her request.

"Dude, would you quit staring at me?" Carlos said when they stopped for a traffic light. "You're freaking me out." His words and expression were deadpan as he turned to look at him. Quentin wished Carlos would remove those ridiculous shades so he could see his eyes.

"Are you in love with her?" Quentin asked, figuring he didn't have long in the car so he'd just cut to the chase.

Carlos grinned before turning his eyes back to the road. "Must really bust your chops to think she could love a guy like me, eh, Mr. Hoity-Toity?"

"Can't say I'd understand it, no. And you didn't answer my question." Quentin pointed out.

"Can't understand it? Why not? You think just because I'm a blue-collar worker, I'm not good enough for her?" Carlos smirked. "Ever consider that's why she likes me? Because she knows I'm a real man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. Who's capable of taking care of her. Not because she needs me to but because she wants me to?"

Quentin hadn't considered any of that and frankly didn't want to consider it either. The thought of Carlos and Billie together made him want to bang Carlos' head into the steering wheel, which he wouldn't do but it didn't stop him from thinking it.

"You're just upset because you caught that kiss on the balcony that happened a few minutes ago," Quentin taunted. He wasn't actually certain that Carlos had until he'd seen how Carlos' fingers gripped the steering wheel, his knuckles going white. Quentin knew Carlos wished those fingers were wrapped around his neck right now, but that's also when he observed something else.

"Besides as a married man you have no right to be messing around with her."

Carlos let out a hearty chuckle. "Damn, you're not as stupid as you look."

"Thank you?" Quentin said taken off guard by Carlos' response. Carlos laughed so hard he took off his shades to wipe his eyes that were tearing.

"Ms. Dupree and I are not an item, Suit. But I owe her, big time and I will hurt anyone who's stupid enough to hurt her. That's no joke." When Carlos stared him eye to eye, Quentin knew he meant every word of what he said.

"I can't make any promises. I like her. I want to get to know her if she'll let me, but people sometimes get hurt, and there's nothing you can do about it."

Carlos maneuvered his Jeep to pull up near the front of the restaurant and gave Quentin two words of advice. "Try harder."

Quentin nodded, unbuckled his seatbelt, and got out of the car. Carlos drove away, leaving Quentin with even more questions than he had before. So, Billie was being honest. Carlos and she are not involved but he's indebted to her somehow. Quentin wondered why that would be as he entered the restaurant.

Quentin always liked Balthazar's. He took a moment to appreciate the old-school Parisian charm of the place, with its huge mirrors, red leather banquettes, and wall of wine. It's possibly the most authentic French bistro/brassiere to be found on this side of the Atlantic. Both classy and casual but Quentin always felt it was more of a romantic spot to eat than a place for a business lunch.

He'd seen his father in conversation with Mr. Dupree and took a deep breath. This, him coming alone, was not going to go over well. "Mr. Dupree. Father." Quentin approached the table and took a seat.

"Quentin," Mr. Dupree smiled at first until he realized the obvious. "Billie? She's not with you?"

"No. She had something she needed to take care of. She said she might join us later but not to wait for her."