Chapter Twenty-four

It was dark when Donavan reached the tall tower that housed H-Tech. Most of the employees had already headed home for the evening. He got into the elevator and traveled up to the top floor. There held the office of Mr. Harrison, CEO, and owner.

He shared the floor with no one. Donavan guessed because the man had so many secrets, he couldn't afford to have anyone get close. He opened the door to the inner office and Harrison's secretary scrambled to right her skirt when she jumped up from Harrison's lap at the sudden interruption.

"Don't you know how to knock?" Mr. Harrison complained, taking a moment to right himself.

"I didn't expect you to be... busy," Donavan said as he entered the room.

Mr. Harrison gave the woman a look and with that one look, she left the office without saying a word.

"Must be nice," Donavan said, watching how quickly the woman clicked her heels to do Harrison's bidding.

"Power gives you certain liberties," Harrison said. "Did you give her the book?"

"She tried to cancel on me but yes," Donavan told him.

"You better be right and my sacrifice worth it," Mr. Harrison said looking up at a bare spot on his display case that once held the first edition of Gwendolyn's book.

"It's given me an in, Mr. Harrison. I went out with her. The photographers were in play both times as you requested, but things have gotten complicated," Donavan said a bit nervously.

"Complicated?" Harrison repeated.

"Things have escalated over the weekend. Your son has moved in with her and whatever he's doing he's damn good at it because she believes herself in love with him," Donavan said finding it hard to keep the contempt out of his voice.

Harrison's jaw clenched upon hearing this news. "Then I suggest you do better."

Donavan tried not to cower at the ominous way Mr. Harrison spoke. "I already have a plan in mind," Donavan informed him.

"See to it, it doesn't fail," Mr. Harrison told him. "You may go."

Upon being dismissed, Donavan turned on his heel and headed back for the door. As he reached for the handle. Mr. Harrison spoke, "Send my secretary back in on your way out."

Donavan's hand paused, his fingers strangling the knob as he turned it. Harrison's secretary was standing patiently waiting outside of the office, though he knew her office was on the next floor. She knew Mr. Harrison would want her so didn't go far.

Donavan snapped his fingers at her to get her attention and pointed to the door he just exited through. The woman walked past him without even giving him a passing glance. "Lucky, bastard," Donavan grumbled as he made his way to the elevator. Soon he was out on the street.

He said he had a plan, but that was only a half-truth. Donavan knew he had to work on getting the happy couple apart. He needed them both alone to begin to plant the seeds of doubt about their relationship. It would take some doing, but he was all about planning and he refused to fail.

***

Billie and Quentin returned home after an enjoyable evening out. It amazed Billie at how comfortable she felt around Quentin. He was so open that it was hard to believe he wasn't being honest about his feelings for her. Still, she had wondered what prevented her from saying it back.

Several times Billie thought to say it during dinner, but it never seemed like that right time. Then there was the drive home, although they were alone, she couldn't bring the words to her lips. By the time they reached home, Billie was in a bit of a mood.