Chapter Fourteen

Billie couldn't understand what made her do it. What made her invite Quentin to Isabelle's birthday party? Has she lost her mind? The worst part was she now needed to call to tell Carlos she was bringing him.

"Hey," Carlos answered the phone on the first ring. "You okay? I assumed you stuck it out with Harrison since you both didn't come back to the gym."

"Yeah, we uh... sorted things out," Billie said, unsure exactly how else to sum up this afternoon's events.

"Glad to hear it. So, we will see you tonight?" Carlos asked.

"You know I would never miss Isabelle's birthday, but um... can a bring a guest?"

"Don't tell me...?" Carlos began.

"Please, Carlos," Billie begged.

"Dios mio, all the women in my life have me wrapped around their little finger. Fine! Bring him."

"Thank you, Carlos!"

"Yeah, yeah. You won't be thanking me once Elena gets a hold of him," Carlos warned.

"Elena?" Billie said in a hushed whisper. Oh Lord, she hadn't thought of that. Carlos' wife was like a lioness when she thought one of her familia was in trouble, and she definitely considered Billie as family.

"It'll be fine," Billie said although not quite convinced. "I'm sure it will be okay."

"Guess, we'll see soon enough," Carlos said with a slight chuckle.

"I guess so. See you soon."

Billie hung up the phone and stared at it for a second or two wondering if she should warn Quentin about Elena but then realized she didn't have his number. "Oh well, I guess you're on your own with this one."

***

Quentin wanted to make a good impression. He knew he was already in a tenuous position with Carlos. He's never been to a child's birthday party so he had no idea what to expect or what would be expected of him, but the one thing he knew was you never show up to a party you are invited to empty-handed.

So, he drove to Rockefeller Plaza to the largest toy store he's ever seen, this place had over 20,000 square feet all filled to the rafters with toys of every kind. As he wandered around and he soon realized he was way over his head.

"Excuse me, are you Quentin Harrison?"

"Yes," Quentin said to the woman who was pushing a stroller while at the same time having a young child tugging at her arm trying to pull her in another direction.

"Travis, settle down," the woman said to the child.

"But mom," the boy whined, "they got a rocket ship!"

"I know and we'll see it in a moment I just need one second, okay?"

The boy let out an exaggerated sigh. "Ookay."

"Sorry," the woman turned back to Quentin.

"That's fine," Quentin said, wondering at the patience this woman had as the child already started pulling on her again.

She looked down at him with annoyance and he stopped. "Sorry," the boy said and tried his best to settle.

"Why don't we all walk over there together," Quentin offered.

"Do you mind? He's so been looking forward to this," the woman asked.

"Not at all," Quentin said escorting the woman over to where the boy desperately wanted to go.

She set him free but not before setting the ground rules of what she expected of the boy. "I promise," the boy told her and set off to check things out.