Chapter Sixteen

The party was over. Isabelle cried when she had to say goodbye to the pony but Billie promised to take her riding soon so she could see him again. The guests had left and they deflated the bouncy castle. Billie hung around to help clean up and Quentin offered to distract Isabelle while they did so.

Billie enjoyed watching them as she bustled about collecting odd cups, plates, and random trash to throw away. Isabelle had him playing dolls with her, he of course was the boy doll and she had the girl doll. Several times she caught them laughing together, and she got that tight feeling in her heart again.

"You like him, don't you?" Elena said as she caught Billie staring at Quentin for like the umpteenth time.

"What's not to like? He rich, handsome, obviously likes kids," Billie added, not wanting to admit she was happy about that last one, as she always wanted children and hoped to have a big family someday.

"It's more than that. I see how you look at him," Elena said.

Billie laughed, "Oh really? And how is that?"

"The way my husband looks at your car every time you come to park it in his garage because he knows he'll get a chance behind the wheel. But Billie, remember once a car is taken off the lot, it immediately depreciates in value."

"Are you trying to give me a sex talk?" Billie asked amused. "Because if you're worried about me and Quentin you needn't be."

"Why don't I believe you?" Elena asked and Billie laughed.

"Don't worry. I have no intentions of getting that serious with him," Billie told her also knowing that Quentin said he wouldn't take her to bed unless it was making love and Billie didn't see that happening anytime soon, if at all.

"I thought you told Carlos, he may be marriage material?" Elena said catching Billie in her own lie.

Damn it! This is why she never liked to lie. She was so bad at it and because of that she always gets caught.

"Look, Elena. I don't know what the future holds in store but I'm keeping an open mind on this one, okay? Look at him," Billie said turning Elena around to watch Quentin playing with her daughter and her daughter having fun.

"He's not what everyone makes him out to be. My whole life I've had people prejudging me. I... don't want to do that to him. Okay?"

"Okay," Elena said.

Carlos came up and asked, "What's with the serious faces around here? We just had a rockin' party."

"She's in love with the playboy. See if you can talk some sense into her," Elena said walking away with Billie just staring at her in disbelief.

"Why do I not remember her being this infuriating?" Billie asked Carlos who just laughed.

"Most likely because for the first year she was subdued because of her illness but now you're getting to see the real Elena and why I love her so much," Carlos said, knowing his wife was listening.

"Ha!" Elena scoffed and Carlos laughed.

"Well, I'm not in love with Quentin. We barely know one another," Billie affirmed.

"The heart knows what it wants long before we do. It takes longer for our heads to agree," Carlos told her.

"I guess you're right, but my head and heart are currently in agreement. Quentin is a great guy but I'm not entirely sure we have a future together," Billie said, wondering why that thought depressed her.

"You'll have what you want to have. What you create. No one can do that for you."

Carlos, Elena, and Billie finally had the house back in order. Billie came in to find some kid show streaming and Quentin sitting in a recliner with a sleeping Isabelle on his lap, his arms wrapped protectively around her. Without his knowing it Billie took a picture of them both. They just looked too adorable to pass up the opportunity.