Day Eight

I hadn't realized how loud my heart was pounding until she swept past me, leaving me to stare at the glass door sneaking close behind her

I hadn't realized how loud my heart was pounding until she swept past me, leaving me to stare at the glass door sneaking close behind her. I turned around, unconsciously squeezing the bouquet behind my back.

"How did the lady even let you in with that?" I asked as I attempted to cover up the sudden tremor in my voice.

She flattened her lips, trying to fight down a smile. "I must've caused a distraction for her on my way here."

My eyes skimmed her up and down once again, trying to process the sight before me.

She was in her work clothes;

Wearing that red-ribboned straw hat that always looked pretty on her;

With those garden gloves that fitted her hands just right;

And strings of helium balloons tied to her waist.

My dimples popped up in awe. Ellie had always been the wild and insane kind.

"But, but, she's a cool lady. I know she'd let me if she finds out." She added.

"Well, I'm sure she cares for the flowers more, but whatever."

"Uh-huh. Oh, and sorry, I'm late. You said you wanted to talk to me about something important-?"

My heart made a jump. No, I'm not ready!

Ellie wasn't looking at me then. Her eyes were scanning around the green space as if looking for something. She half-jumped half-floated towards a row of plants, as for me, I followed suit. She plucked out a white rose.

Sunlight tiptoed in through the glass shields of the greenhouse, kissing the flowering pastel hues with its glowing charm.

Petunias.

Geraniums.

Chrysanthemums.

The air was blooming with the smell of pink, red and whatnot.

I'd not be kidding if I voice my doubt that some specks of pollen might have gotten into my brain because, c'mon, in there were so many more flowers than what I had ever seen in my whole damn life. And also because with each passing second, I'd feel a brain cell inside me burst; that had to be pollen grains because I was sure I wasn't overthinking about that whole confession thing. Nope, not at all.

But what if she says no?

"Carl?"

I blinked.
Earth to lover boy.

"Oh, um, the thing is- well uh, just a minute, it's too hot in here."

She grinned at me. "Yeah, well, pretty obvious by your face."

That made me flush even more.

"Well?"

I closed my eyes and inhaled. Alright, Fredricksen, don't think much, unload your feelings, or these words will remain stuck in your throat till the grave.

I made a thin gap between my lids to see her happy face one last time before she'd slap.

But she wasn't there.

My brows scrunched, and I opened my eyes to have the full view. Something made my gaze fall downwards.

And I saw her.

"W-what are you doing on your knees?"

"Well, you're taking too long to say what you've got to say so, till you prepare yourself for it, maybe listen to my confession?" And she proffered me the plucked flowers bound into one. "I like you, Carl." 

______________________________

WORD COUNT: 516 words