Chapter 34. Rage

Dumbledore and Severus leaned back in their worn tartan armchairs, each of them sipping on a small goblet of cherry wine. They were seated in Dumbledores office, which had been decorated generously by the house elves, with wreathes and garlands hanging from every wall, as well as candles and baubles hanging from the ceiling. The fire crackled as snow fell upon the forbidden forest out the window, large flakes dancing in the air as they blustered about in the Scottish wind. Christmas music played over a crackly gramophone in the background.

            "Merry Christmas Severus," Albus smiled under his glasses, raising his glass.

            "And to you, headmaster," Severus' baritone voice spoke as he met Albus' glass with his, the two clinking together musically.

            "Since, this is probably my last, we should most definitely finish the bottle." Albus smiled sadly as he sipped at his wine.

            "Of course, headmaster, it would be a shame to leave it," Severus sighed.

            "I really should have asked Dobby if we could have some sherbet lemons, do you think he'd oblige us at this late hour?" Dumbledore hummed.

            "No need, professor," Severus exhaled, leaning down he picked up a small tin of sherbet lemons, a green bow upon the top.

            "What a thoughtful gift Severus, one I'm ashamed to say I cannot reciprocate," Dumbledore didn't hesitate to set his cherry wine aside and break into the tin, popping a sherbet lemon in his mouth.

            "There's really no need to Albus, it's my pleasure," Severus sipped his wine. The music played light over their silence.

            "I really do love this one," Albus mused happily. Severus simply grunted in reply nodding his head. "You seem to have something on your mind Severus" Albus enquired as he sucked upon his sherbet lemon, leaning towards the dark-haired professor.

            "Nothing worth your precious time... I'm sure headmaster," Severus took another sip.

            "As you wish Severus, I was merely asking as a friend," Dumbledore smiled as he looked into the roaring fire. Severus' ears perked up as he thought he heard something over the music. He froze and turned his head, listening carefully. Dumbledore picked up on it too, turning and tilting his head he listened, before swishing his wand to pause the music. Clear as day in the silence of the winter night was the sound of a whimpering, crying baby.

            "Do you hear that?" Snape froze, fear in his veins.

            "Downstairs," Albus breathed as he jumped up from his seat, knocking over his goblet of wine.

Severus followed suit, discarding his goblet to the floor wine spilled out across the carpet and the two practically flew down the stairs to Albus' office. Rounding the desk they found a horrific sight: Astrid laid motionless on the wooden floor, laid on her side, her arms and legs scattered. A large patch of scarlet at her hip, the stain growing with every second. Everly was laid nearby, her swaddle had come unravelled, her arms and legs kicked violently as she cried for her mother's attention.

"Astrid!" Severus gasped, dropping to her side he examined the scorched wound on her side. Albus saw to the baby, checking her for injuries and holding her to his purplish-grey robes, hushing her cries.

"Phineas! Call for Madam Pomfrey immediately, I know it's Christmas but it is urgent!" Albus called to one of his paintings, who scrammed immediately through the frames to fetch the matron.

Minutes later Madam Pomfrey arrived in a green flash by floor, dressed in her night clothes she rushed to Astrid's side, practically pushing Severus out of the way.