Chapter 35. Him

The winter break came to an end and students once again filled the halls of Hogwarts, and Astrid once again found herself stepping foot into her classroom. To her dismay Professor Binns had rearranged her classroom, and Astrid found her second new wand, provided by Dumbledore kindly, a little on the temperamental side so she found herself pushing the wooden desks back into position manually.

"Come on, you, argh!" Astrid grunted as she pushed at the wooden lump of furniture. She'd managed to do almost every one but they seemed to get heavier as she went along, or rather her arms got weaker the more she pushed and pulled the furniture about.

There was a hesitant little knock at the door but Astrid barely heard it for the sound of her groans as she tried to push two desks together.

"Would you... er... like some help with that professor?" Astrid was surprised to hear from a sorry looking Draco Malfoy. His jaw was tight and he avoided her gaze.

"Oh... Draco, you startled me, ummm... yes, please if you don't mind," Astrid stood back and Draco pulled his wand from his black suit jacket, with a little wave the tables slid across the floor almost effortlessly.

"Thank you," Astrid breathed turning to face the boy she clasped her hands together. "You know classes don't start until tomorrow Draco... what brought you here?"

"My father... he wanted me to come..." Draco started with a hard swallow, staring at the floor, "And check how you were..."

"I'm fine," Astrid forced a small smile. "Tell him, I'm fine,"

"And... the umm..." Draco couldn't say it, it felt like a betrayal to his mother.

"The baby?" Astrid hazarded a guess, "She's fine,"

"That's good... I guess," Draco awkwardly shuffled his feet, with his hands in his pockets, "I didn't know it was a girl."

"'She'... she's a girl... her names Everly." Astrid corrected, she understood his use of the word 'it' and didn't take any offence, he had distanced himself from his father, from the idea of having a second family, a sister, a potential step mother.

"That's nice I guess," Draco shrugged his shoulders. "Where is she now?" He looked around briefly, but there was no baby in sight.

"Being watched by someone," Astrid told him. And after a moments silence, she asked him hesitantly "Do you think... maybe you'd want to meet her one day?"

"One day, I may as well yeah... she is my... sister, after all."

"That's... great Draco... I think it'd be great for you to meet her," Astrid nodded.

"Not today though, see I got plans," Draco kicked at the ground, "But whenever is fine..."

"Great, will I be seeing you in my class tomorrow?"

"No," He exhaled in a way that was almost a scoff, "I didn't take History of Magic, wasn't really... my thing," He explained.

"Of course not, far too boring am I right?" She smiled. Draco just nodded.

"Well, I guess... I'll see you around," Draco turned to leave but Astrid called after him before he made out of the door.

"Draco, wait!" She breathed, stepping over to him, "I know that Professor Snape, he's helping you with something, I just wanted to... offer my help too, if you need it,"

"I don't need help from a blood traitor," His face twisted up in disgust, before softening again, he suddenly looked like he was going to cry. "If my aunt found out... If I told you... if I accepted help from you... of all people... she'd kill me herself," Draco told Astrid with a trembling voice.