Chapter 54. Rejection

Author Note: Thank you all for the votes and comments, each one is appreciated so much. I haven't had much time for updates this week I am so sorry, so here's a slightly longer one for you! Please let me know what you think I love hearing from you guys! 

______________

Astrid approached Severus cautiously as he looked out over the foggy castle grounds from an arch shaped ledge in the tower. Silently Astrid slipped to his side and peered through the haze: Hogwarts students marching across the bridge into the castle, returning from their Easter break. The Carrows escorted them ominously, their distant shouts could be heard through the thickening fog.

Severus hadn't even sensed Astrid's presence, highly unusual for him to be so unaware of his surroundings. He just looked solemnly at his students as they began their last term of the school year... there was notably fewer students than had left for the Easter break. It broke Severus's heart inside, to see his school, his students in such a miserable state, to have fallen so far from greatness. The first place he had truly called home was now a place of fear and loathing, with tensions rising every day.

Astrid touched upon Severus' arm with a delicate hand, startling him slightly from his far away state.

"Severus?" Astrid asked, looking up into his sorrow filled face, she had never seen him in such a state, even after everything. She looked into his dark eyes and only saw pain, sadness. Severus didn't answer her, not right away, so Astrid pressed him further with a soft, slightly croaky voice. "What's wrong?"

Severus avoided the question, instead looking almost through Astrid, a look of confusion flashed upon his face for a brief moment before he regained his usual composed self.

"Where is Everly?" He asked, glancing over the grounds one last time before stepping away from the ledge.

"With Poppy, she's getting her first early wizarding vaccinations..." Astrid trailed off as she looked at Severus worriedly, he'd gone absent again.

"I cannot believe she is already of that age..." Severus murmured to himself.

"Severus, are you okay?" Astrid asked, placing a hand more firmly on his arm this time, she gave it a slight squeeze as she slightly cocked her head to the side.

"Was there something you needed me for Astrid, or did you just happen across me up here?" Severus asked as he straightened up and looked down his nose at the girl with a slightly cold expression.

"Narcissa is in your office, waiting for you." Astrid told him, crossing her arms across her chest she exhaled deeply, "She's in a bit of a state."

"Do tell, what kind of state?" Severus asked as the two began walking in the direction of the headmaster office, their leather shoes patting softly on the stone floor as they walked.

"Upset... panicked, scared... I asked her what it was regarding, she refused to speak to me... wouldn't even look at me." Astrid exhaled with a huff, if anyone deserved a cold shoulder, it was Narcissa Malfoy, not the other way around.

"At least... she did not curse you, after your last encounter..." Severus commented as they descended a flight of stairs.

"It should be I cursing her, not the other way around, the great pretender!" Astrid huffed as she tried to keep up with Severus' long strides.

The rest of the brisk walk back to Severus' office was in silence, in truth Astrid was a little out of breath, her chest tightening as her heart beat faster. She pressed her fingers to her sternum and took deep breaths as she scurried after Severus.